Tank Security... Bad breakup imminent!!!

I know this is probably the first time that this has been addressed on this forum, but i kneed to know the best way to keep a tank safe.
I wont bore you guys with the "DR Phill" side of this post, But I fear for the safety of my fish in the up coming days. My GF and I are splitting up and if she tries to hurt me in a way i know it will be thru the harm of my fish tanks.(keying the Jeep won't be but another of many scratches)
What are the best ways to lock a canopy and a stand to prevent sabotage? Has any one else had to do this, weater for children or other reasons?
Are there locking tops for bow front tanks?

Thanks and sorry if I wasted any of your time on this post.
Dane

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Hmmm... I don't know if theres a way to 100% secure your tanks, unless you take a peice of plywood and attach it to the backs to keep any thing from being put in the openings, as far as doors, you could get those cabinet locks that have the little lever that spins around when you turn the key, but that would invlove drilling holes in the stand and canopy.

livingreef2004

jeepersreefers i have had this problem with my gf as well she can be very spiteful and when we fight i always worry about this. i have put a great deal of thought into it and have come up with nothing so i told her if she ever did anything to my tank while we were fighting that i would contact the aspca and press animal cruelty charges on her
which would do nothing to save my tank but it seemed to scare her out of the idea because that would be a criminal act good luck and sorry to hear about your hard times

BoomerD

You're going to be somewhat limited on how secure you can make the system, because as mentioned above, you will have to encolse the back of the canopy and stand. As we all know, locks only keep out the "honest people" or in this case, "she who really doesn't want in there" If she wants in or wants to do harm badly enough, ant spray or room air freshener could do quite a bit of damage, as could bleach or other toxins injected into the tank...Your best option might be to install x-10 cameras and watch the tank, so that if she DOES do anything, you can at least get it on tape for prosecution...
Sux in any event...

gaubow

tough dilemna... you can't protect it really, can you? Wouldn't a hammer to glass do it? Depends on how scared she is of getting in trouble. I think that livingreef has the right idea. You have to find a way to scare her from doing it. Mental warfare!!!!!

ooo I like the camera idea. I mean scaring her might actually entice her to do something... I mean sure your tank would still be screwed but least you could sue and get a new set up or press charges rightfuly...

sharks

Contributing Member
I like the ASPCA idea. That is about the only thing I can think of to prevent her from harming the tank.
I think if you go through all the effort to secure the tank it will just draw her attention to it even more and make it a bigger target. I would just let her know that you would follow through on contacting the authorities and pressing charges. To be honest if she would do something that drastic and spiteful I would just end it and move on.
Sorry to here about your troubles and I hope it’s resolved soon.
Good Luck
S

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Wow! I am glad I am pass the girl friend stage in my life! Too bad you didn't have a girl friend that loved saltwater like you do and then you would not have to worry about her doing evil things to your tank but then again you could end up with an empty tank!:)

johnlewis

Well this might sound cruel, but I guess its a good idea your breaking up you do not want to stay with anyone that would harm helpless animals. I think the ASPCA and legal action is a good route even though I am not an animal rights activist or supporter of lawyers, but sometimes they are needed. Remember this the next time, and save your self the grief sorry to add my Doctor Phil/Laura/Ruth etc.

Craig Manoukian

Bummer dude!

Change the locks.

Get a big guard dog and train it too attack the smell of her. Put a big beware of dog sign up and delete this thread ( evidence you know). JK!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Btw... if you take her back (being a possible coral killer), I will round up a posse to come flog you with digi frags!!!! :hammerhea

Thanks for the advice every one. The fish only system can be locked down tight and is 1" thick acrylic with a full in-closed canopy, but my reef is open top. The security cameras are all ready hooked up since i install those systems on the side. Hopefully it will end peacefully for the fish. Also i was smart enough not to give her a house key just a garage door remote witch the code can easily be changed. (Sorry Witful, but damn those crazy @$$ Jersey girls, must be some thing in the water)

Cougra

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles and can understand your concern about your tank. Question: Who's moving out of the house? (No you dn't have to answer) If you're moving out, get the tank out as quickly as you can, perhaps set it up temporarily at someone elses house. If she's moving out, be VERY careful about chaning locks before anything's been finalized! I'm not sure about the states but there are laws against that here, especially if she's paying rent/living expenses etc. and you could lose a lot more then just your tank through legal action of locking someone out of their legal residence without proper eviction notification.

As for securing the tank, I would tend to agree that it's pretty useless to start adding a bounch of security features, it'll draw her attention as was mentioned and it really wouldn't take much to ruin everything.

I would favour the threat of legal action against her and make sure that you have good appartment/house insurance in case she breaks it and does a lot of water damage as well as killing the animals.

Good luck with the situation and I hope things don't get as bad as you fear they will. Hang in there!

Sorry to hear that, id see about legal actions, about evicting etc. install cameras and get a pitt bull that dont like women...good luck with it...

Originally posted by Cougra
If she's moving out, be VERY careful about chaning locks before anything's been finalized! I'm not sure about the states but there are laws against that here, especially if she's paying rent/living expenses etc. and you could lose a lot more then just your tank through legal action of locking someone out of their legal residence without proper eviction notification.

Thanks, for the advise. I work with several Section8(projects) property managers who whve told stories about people exploiting the system like that.
Its my house, there was no rent taken and no official papers. Im in the clean and clear.
THanks again

Cougra

Originally posted by JeepersReefers
Thanks, for the advise. I work with several Section8(projects) property managers who whve told stories about people exploiting the system like that.
Its my house, there was no rent taken and no official papers. Im in the clean and clear.
THanks again
Glad to hear that you've checked into it and that you're in the clear on that one! Good luck getting her out.