Tank seam stability question

Tru2nr

ok, so i built the frame for my stand and im curious if i am just asking for trouble by not having a support directly under the seam entirely...please see pic below...i have the wood to build the support underneath the seam.

2012-03-03_20-41-13_572.jpg

Uslanja

We wouldn’t do it! Put the wood in and build it rock solid.... a busted tank would just not be fun!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I would also recommend to add the support and make sure it is level too

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Add support buddy. Add support on the edges.

......reefing. not for the faint of heart or spirit.

Willie McDaries

ok, so i built the frame for my stand and im curious if i am just asking for trouble by not having a support directly under the seam entirely...please see pic below...i have the wood to build the support underneath the seam.

2012-03-03_20-41-13_572.jpg

the major issue isn't not having wood under the seam but not having the upright supports under the corners of the tank,just a piece of wood across the stand under the glass seam isn't gonna help much,especially with the top wooden pieces ran flat ways,you need the corner uprights under the corners of the tank as well as the wood under the seams

Built347

+1 to all... the flat piece of wood on its side will allow bowing of all types... when glass bows too far it will crack... aside from that the edge of the tank absolutely needs support..

i drew a quick sketch of what were talking about to give you an idea.. you need more support than that or you will have a broken tank in no time..
IMG_20120303_225336.jpg

Willie McDaries

thanks Devon,that is a much better way to explain....

Tru2nr,you can still extend the top of the stand past the tank but the upright support needs to be directly under the tank itself

Tru2nr

Ok...will be adding the support under the seams...the upright supports are sitting 20x24 and the footprint of the tank is 18x18 n is only 25g which is why im thinking the 1x3s will provide enough stability but if you guys think I need to add upright supports to the back two corners I'll do so

DaveK

Could we see a picture of your entire stand and the tank on it? Also detail photos of the corner construction would help.

While you may have some issues with your stand construction, there may also be construction details that we are not seeing. In my opinion, most DIY stands are so overbuilt that there really is no issue. Also, the way it's constructed makes a big difference. For example, you can construct an L girder out of a 1x2 and a 1x3 and it will flex much less and be a lot stronger than a 2x4.

Built347

Ok...will be adding the support under the seams...the upright supports are sitting 20x24 and the footprint of the tank is 18x18 n is only 25g which is why im thinking the 1x3s will provide enough stability but if you guys think I need to add upright supports to the back two corners I'll do so

Its not so much your choice of wood that's the problem... even if you were using 2x4s we would still recommend vertical supports... even giant pieces of wood 2x6s 2x8s etc. Aren't meant to hold a load flat like that.. but upright they will hold immense amounts..... I think you have the right idea it just needs some tweeking.. also I feel it very important that the top of the stand support all 4 edges 100%.. no gaps..

+1 with davek.. I'd love to see the rest of the stand..

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Tru2nr

When I throw in the next cross frame ill make sure to put the vertical support under the corner of the tank...like I said I don't want it to bow but please keep in mind this tank is only a 25g that will only have about 15-20lbs of rock and 20lbs of sand...so its only 255lbs

2012-03-03_20-40-58_942.jpg

Here's the joints

2012-03-04_10-46-01_764.jpg

Built347

Looks good man.. if it were mine.. I would put another flat piece across the back under that seam... do vertical braces all around the stand including that new back piece.. and as long as your vertical pieces are secured properly the legs being a few inches back wont be an issue... 255lbs is enough to cause problems if something goes wrong... I'm sure u don't want 25 gallons of water on your floor...

Also what r u wrapping it with?? If its not something thick I would put some x braces on each side to keep that thing standing straight up...

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Willie McDaries

When I throw in the next cross frame ill make sure to put the vertical support under the corner of the tank...like I said I don't want it to bow but please keep in mind this tank is only a 25g that will only have about 15-20lbs of rock and 20lbs of sand...so its only 255lbs

2012-03-03_20-40-58_942.jpg

Here's the joints

2012-03-04_10-46-01_764.jpg

your top boards are in a horizontal position and will bow under very little weight,what I would suggest is to add vertical boards under those to create a T of sort,to keep the top boards from bowing and you should be good to go,and as Devon stated,unless you're gonna skin the stand with plywood,I'd add some diagonal bracing to keep it from twisting...I like the size ratio and it is gonna be a nice looking pedestal style tank

Tru2nr

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions...so as a result here is the new improved stand...lol

2012-03-04_18-19-27_115.jpg

Built347

Looks great man.. one last thing to do.. all 4 load bearing boards... screw some more 1x2's vertically underneath the flat ones and your golden

paint_11221172414.jpg

Built347

Sorry my tablet does stupid things to pictures when I try and draw on them.. hopefully u can see it

Tru2nr

think the load bearing 1x2's are needed since all of the corners of the tank sit on the vertical supports?

Built347

Yes.. a 1x2 on its side has no load bearing capability.. unless you are wrapping the stand with 3/4" plywood or something the trusses are a must. And even then I personally would still put them there. Its too easy not to..

.....VOTE Matt for Mayor!...