Tank On Second Floor???!!!

SeaLover

lol...I bet you need to find out how ur house was built and how much the flooring can hold. I know my husband barely let me have my 75 gallon when it was on the second floor. now on the first. The house we live in now is built 16 on center.

ReefGuy69

I remember about 1yr ago someone looking into the same thing. From what i remember they were told as long as its an outside wall you should be ok. or if you can find a supporting beam or post used for the inner walls, but that could be tricky. So i think the last person went with an outside wall. Is this your own home or an apartment? If its an apartment i would say dont even attempt it. Sooner or later you will get a leak, or overfill or get a stray hose or something to flood the lower level. if its your own place and your ok with that then go for it. if not i would go smaller or wait till you get your own place or move to the 1st floor before setting it up.

jski711

before anything try and find out info on the floor!! 200g+ is a huge tank and i would be hesitant unless if was a new building that has concrete floor!!!

E46er

its a huge amount of weight over a massive amount of square inches
ie my friends 220 G is 6x2x2.5 so its a 12 square foot space 12 square feet is 1728 square inches. 220G times 7.48 is 1646 pounds
1728 / 1645 = 1.0498 pSI now for comparison your 115 pound girly friend or wife wearing high heels or stilettos with lets say a heel that is 1 square inch and for stilettos its probably a 1/4 inch but at 1 square inch heel your looking at 115 psi
have your lady friend walk on your floor in heels unless the heels break threw your fine

Smiley1

serious things you need to think about....

location of load bearing walls.

direction floor joists are running.

foot print of aquarium.

keeping these things in mind, you shouldnt have a problem with structural issues unless your hous was built prior to 1970 or so. The psi isnt a big issue as long as your tank isnt placed directly in the center of the room below it. If by chance there is a wall directly under the tank, then you will have no issues period. you will even have a great spot to run plumbing to the basement for a sump if you so desire.

one thing that stops most people from putting an aquarium on the second floor is the fact that dragging all that water up stairs to do water changes over a period of time will make you reconsider the second floor. If its a 10g aquarium, then you wont even think about it. but when you get to bigger tanks and bigger water changes.... that 50 gallons of water in 10 jugs of 5g each will equal about 5 trips up and down stairs just to lug the water up. Also think about the problem that if you plumbing breaks and pumps water all over the floor, you are not only damaging the floor, but the ceiling of the room below, its floor, and whatever else it may come in contact with. And let me tell you...... replacing drywall on a ceiling really sucks.