Tank leveling suguestions????

Ok guys one last question. I got a new level and found that my level had been dropped one to many times, as it turns out my floor is only about 1/4" or less off. So what can i use to put down to fix something small like that? Styrofoam?? what thickness? or is there anything better to use, like some sort or carpet pad type material?

Scooterman

However you do it, basically your making a shim for the stand bottom. If you want to get precise with it, use a piece of wood and scribe a wedge, starting at 1/4" making it long enough to cover the gap. You will want that shim for all surface areas on the side that is off. Then you could attach it to the bottom of the stand producing a level stand. Then you will need to level with the tank on but it should be at this point.

Theres a store that sells all kinds of foam, From rigid styrefoam to carpet pads. They might have some thing that would work. I cant remember the name, but It is located at Charleston and Main (YIKES):guns:

Its called Percision Foam, and its loacated at 3505 E. Charleston. Not Main St. like i originaly thought. Give em' call 531-0950

jks1

i think foam would be your best option because you can get it as big as the footprint of the stand itself, so weight is distributed across the entire base. Keep in mind you will need to get it thicker than the amount your floor is unlevel (1/4"), the weight of the tank will settle it some on the foam but you will prob need to push it down into the foam in the back. you can then trim it around the base of the stand and paintit black in your case if you want. Good luck!

Nautilus

Unless your whole condo walls and everything is concrete then the 2nd floor is not solid concrete.
But if your aquarium is close to the wall I would not see an issue.
I would use wood shims

wooddood

the wood dude
personally i would'nt use shims i think this would allow stress points under the frame that you could'nt support very easilly.just use carpet padding,cheap/quick/and you could use trim around the bottom to hide the foam. dave.

Scooterman

It is a lot of weight to shim up I agree, depending on your stand I'd either get the most out of a wedge very long one on every piece of wood that is off, problem it that may be difficult, foam is a good idea also, probably easier to do. Whatever method, make sure it is solid & supported well. Fill the tank gradual as a test run, let it settle the re-level if needed!

openbrain

Hello sincityreefer,

If I remember right you said the tank leaned forward a 1/4". I think you would be alright if you just shimmed the whole front of the tank, I don't think the sides are going to matter as they are not as load bearing. I would still shim the middle of the side but I would not be as concerned with it. I would get a definate dimension of what you need to bring the front of the tank to level then I would use a piece of hard wood all the way across the front of the stand, then before you put it under the tank paint it black and the shim will disappear. I would still use a piece of foam between the tank and the stand for future settling.

Cool, foam is the ticket!!! I used a piece of 1/2" styrofoam and it fixed everything right up. The tank is getting test filled tonite!!! Thanks!
-steve

Witfull

one problem with foam though, it will compress more with time, also it can degenerate, especially with salt in the area. if you should flood/spill water foam will suck it up. and the tank will compress the foam to the angle of the floor unless using different thicknesses or layers, this will take alot of experimenting to get the tank level.personally i have shimmed several tanks,,,just put them close together, then get some trim molding and frame the base.
just throughing my 2 cents in.

Nautilus

Once more I agree with Wilfull.
Shim all the way across if necessary but the weight load is mainly the corners and in the middle.
use foam between the tank and stand.:p

openbrain

I also agree with witfull, certain types of styrofoam are not moisture resistant. I would use something more stable, remember this tank could be there for years, it would su** if you had to move it later on down the line. If you want to use styrofoam between the tank and the stand then I would check out this stuff.

foamular

This is the stuff that we've used for about one and a half yrs. We've seen no deterioration at all, and of course ours has been exposed to the "elements" ;)

OK guys, one more thing, since we have established that my condo is not solid concrete, so weight is still an issue, what should i look for when filling it up, i have been adding about 5 gallons a day just to go slow and be safe. But if i were going to have a problem are there any signs? or am i just going to wake up in the middle of the night to find my tank downstaris? :confused: Thanks for all the helps guys, karma!
-steve

mwrager

I would listen to the house as you fill the tank. Also recheck the level. If something is moving you will loose the leveling on the tank.

Witfull

well do as MW said but i dont think youll have a prob. i have had tanks on plain wood floors and yours wil have better distribution.

openbrain

Yup! I agree with MW, I would just set the level on the top of the tank and leave it there. That way there every time you walk by you can take a peek.

wooddood

the wood dude
ok heres hears the deal.and the simplest solution i have came up with.why not form uo a base under the stand that is level.fill it with concrete it will only take a bag or two at most,let it set and frame the bottom with trim,it will not settle at all and as far as money spent this is the cheapest and most reliable answer to your dilemma and i will debate this with any one. dave