Tank is finally up and running (again)

After a long hiatus from the hobby, I finally had the itch to set up a reef again. About a year ago I started to set up a 180g reef tank, but it stalled out. It has had rock(LR and dead ocean rock) but no fish or corals in it for all that time. After some coaxing for my girlfriend it finally started to take shape and look like a reef again instead of a box of water and rock in my living room. Now it has a few fish, zoas and some softies in it. (pics coming soon)
Thankfully I saved most of my old equipment from my 240g acrylic bare bottom reef disaster. The Skimmer, pumps, MH lights all transferred to this tank relatively easy, making this tank less of a headache and saving a lot of money.

DIY kalk reactor pics also coming soon, its not the usual PVC one.

ReefLady

Staff member
Welcome! ... or Welcome Back! :)

Can't wait to see the pics. What happened to the 240g?

The 240g was just one of those tanks that nothing worked as planned. By trying to plan everything out and failing at it, the whole project was my most costly reefing mistake. Everything looked great on paper, but as it started to come together it was one problem after another. Most of the equipment was oversized so space was at a premium under the stand. Maintenance was nearly imposable on any one item without disassembling the whole sump. I had to replace a few pumps and redo the plumbing just to make things fit a few times. I finally gave up and traded it for the 180g glass tank.

This time around I’m just shooting from the hip and everything is working fine.

“Don’t measure and cut it until it fits” my new motto