Tank Height, Shallow Vs Tall

AKTank

Hi All,
I'm considering a shallow tank 48 x 24 x 17 Tall. My last one was 48 x 18 x 25. What are your thoughts/experiences on shallow vs taller tanks? Pro's Con's?

foxsavage

For me I would never even consider a tank deeper that 24" again. I had a 30" deep tank for awhile and it was very frustrating not beeing able to reach the bottom. I would say as long as you can reach the bottom most places in the tank it isn't too deep.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
A deep tank means that you'll have lighting/par concerns. A shallow tank means that you'll have to be careful not to fry your corals. A shallow tank is also much easier to clean and aquascape.

reefle

I agree with all the above. I have a 32" deep tank right now and it's a nightmare to get things out from the bottom or between rocks.

Willie McDaries

Hi All,
I'm considering a shallow tank 48 x 24 x 17 Tall. My last one was 48 x 18 x 25. What are your thoughts/experiences on shallow vs taller tanks? Pro's Con's?

between those two tanks, I'd definitely go with the shallow tank, you'll love the extra floor space plus you have more water surface area for gas exchange and the ability to use less light are all pros, there's really no cons I can think of for going with the shallow tank instead of the taller tank

StirCrayzy

I like tall for open swimming space, plus room for corals to grow vertical.
That said, I'd not go deeper than 24", cuz I like dry pits.

AJK

I agree with most, I prefer shallow. I once had a corner hexagon tall, which was a beauty but maintenance was a real pain, I almost had to go scuba diving, Lol !! also agree lighting has to be much more powerful.

AKTank

Thanks all. I think this tank will be a good choice. Has anyone ordered from glasscages.com? Experience, good, bad?

I agree with all the above benefits. One con I'll throw out there cause it's on my mind as a shallow tank owner. You can't have much of a sand bed without looking kinda odd e.g. DSB.

Maybe not a big deal but still something to consider. Also, a SSB will be a snow globe if you're not really attentive to flow placement and velocities. But yeah, a nice shallow tank is awesome, the rage I got from dipping an armpit in my old 30" deep tank.... not sure I could quantify it lol :wave:

AJK

No, I never ordered from glasscage, but an estimate rep gave me for custom 20 gal, was scary expensive.