tank cleaning help

Kendalls_reef

hey everybody!!
so, recently i bought a brand new T5 lighting for my tank and i have noticed a huge spike of algae! the problem is that nothing in my tank is cleaning it even after i bought a clean up crew.
most of the algae is hair algae, and annoying diatoms? i think that’s what it’s called, the orange film-like that’s growing all over my glass. my water is clean when you look into it, but nothing like trying to view the fish just to see algae all over the tank :crying:

so! my question is, does anybody have any tips? i was thinking about doing a major cleaning because it’s almost christmas and my entire family is coming over for the holidays and i don’t want my tank to be ugly. i was thinking about taking all of my fish out and put them into a bucket, draining most of the water into buckets so i can scrape the algae off without it floating around in my tank and restick to the glass. i also wanted to scrub the nasty algae off my rocks but i’m not sure if it would mess up my tank? of course i would put all of the same water back in, minus a few gallons that i would do for my weekly water change....

is this a good idea or does anybody have other tips? i need it off by christmas! everybody needs to be able to view my pretty fish. note that i do not have any coral in the tank yet, just fish, rock, and inverts. eventually, (once i’m not so broke), i will get more rocks and corals.

Kendalls_reef

also, i bought some tigger pods that were for my mandarin before i rehomed her. i accidentally ended up with her and was not ready to take care of her. but can i add the tigger pods to my tank or should i leave them in the bottle in my fridge? they’re all alive and well, but i don’t have anything to feed them? yet i don’t my fish to eat them, mainly my damsel (who i can’t seem to catch to rehome). i heard that they an help with cleaning the tank but i’m not sure if they’ll get sucked into my filter or shooken up by my powehead so i’m not sure what to do with them?

Uncle99

You should start by turning the light out for 4-5 days followed by a reduction in photoperiod and intensity. Pull/ Scrub as much as possible
Algae requires two things, light and phosphate.
You need phosphate to be zero as well. You can lower phosphate with agent green or run a GFO in your filter.
You need a phosphate test kit.
If you skim, you can also carbon dose with Red Sea No Pox
I trust your water is RODI...

DaveK

I generally agree with @Uncle99 post about cutting way back on the light. It will help. So will the reduction of phosphates.

However, you have several other problems with your that that are going to need to be resolved before you can really solve the algae issue.

You have only about 1/2 the amount of like rock you should have in a tank that size. The live rock is the biological filtration system, and by not having enough you are skimping on that.

Also, your showing an ammonia reading of .25. Any reading other than 0 indicates a serious issue. usually the tank isn't fully cycled, overcrowded, something dead, overfeeding or not enough biological filtration.

I do not recommend the radical clean out your considering. That is going to do a lot more harm than good. Algae problems can almost always be resolved with far less drastic measures.

Here is one of my "famous" standard lecturers on algae control that may give you some additional things to check. Not everything will apply to your tank.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #2 - Algae Control

Algae control comes down to controlling nitrates and phosphates. If you have a problem with algae it is because these two nutrients are out of control. Do not think that just because your test kits read zero or low values that you do not have a problem. In many cases the algae is removing the nutrients and growing. This is why there is a problem.

Here are possible sources of nitrates and phosphates -

Feeding, especially flake food and not rinsing frozen foods before feeding.
Using tap water to mix salt. Always use RO/DI water for this.
"Dirt traps" and "nitrate factories" in the system.
Low quality carbon can leach nutrients.
Low quality salt can sometimes add nutrients. This is unusual today.
Livestock load on the system

Here are possible ways to remove nitrates and phosphates -

Water changes. Change 1/2 the water and you reduce the nutrients by 1/2.
Skimming. Remove the waste products before the biological filtration need to break then down.
Nitrate and phosphate removal products.
Deep sand beds.
Refugiums.
Algae Scrubbers.

Each of these has advantages and disadvantages. Most people that control algae will use many of the above methods.

There are also other items that can effect algae growth rates.

Good clean up crew.
Other livestock that eats algae.
Low general water quality, especially when the readings are off.
Lighting, sometimes you can reduce it, especially in FO or FOWLR systems.
Old light bulbs. Colors change as they age and this can be a factor.
Water flow. More flow will often help keep algae down.
Manual removal. Very important, especially when there is a big problem.

Uncle99

On point DaveK.
I do not rinse my frozen......missed that one forever....changed effective immediately (missed the forest from the trees thing)

Oxylebius

First off, having film algae on the glass of your tank is natural and will occur on a weekly basis. You will need to grab some sort of algae glass scraper to be able to maintain clean glass. Some snails can help, but IMO nothing beats the clarity of weekly cleaning of the glass with a scraper.

You have been provided sound advice from those who have already posted. I will share with you some of my detailed notes on phosphate that I have collected over the years below. All of the below info I have shared on this forum in prior posts. One thing to remember is that you are in a hobby where the more you can understand what is going on in your system the more success you will have over time. I provided some hyperlinks to help you with further reading.

Algae grow with nutrients and light. Some lighting conditions can cause an algae outbreak, but many times it comes down to controlling nutrients, and in particular controlling phosphates.

Kinds of Phosphate found in Aquariums
Phosphates exist in three forms: orthophosphate, metaphosphate (or polyphosphate) and organically bound phosphate; each compound contains phosphorous in a different chemical arrangement.

These forms of phosphate occur in living and decaying plant and animal remains, as free ions or weakly chemically bounded in aqueous systems, chemically bonded to sediments and soils, or as mineralized compounds in soil, rocks, and sediments.

The phosphate that is of most interest to aquarist is Orthophosphate and organic phosphate. Orthophosphate is a readily available to the biological community. Organic phosphates are typically estimated by testing for total phosphate. The organic phosphate is the phosphate that is bound or tied up in algae/plant tissue, fish waste, or other organic material like fish food. After decomposition, this phosphate can be converted to orthophosphate. It is a cycle. Marine Phosphorus cycle here: http://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Phosphorus+cycle

Phosphate in the food you feed your fish
Foods are by far the most important source of phosphate in most aquariums.
You can read more about it here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry

Phosphate in Rock and Substrate
There is also some discussion on phosphorus leaching from rocks into our aquariums. Over time (anywhere from a year to several years) this will slow down or cease. Much discussion has occurred on forums regarding this. A lot is anecdotal.

What is known is what occurs in natural systems, and a few have jumped on this as a way of explaining what may be also playing out in our tanks. http://sciencelearn.org.nz/Contexts...ience-Ideas-and-Concepts/The-phosphorus-cycle

What is known is that aragonite can act as a reservoir for phosphate. This reservoir can make it difficult to completely remove excess phosphate from a tank that has experienced very high phosphate levels, and may permit algae to continue to thrive despite cutting off all external phosphate sources. In such cases, removal of the substrate may even be required. Likewise, phosphate can precipitate onto the surface of calcium carbonate, such as onto live rock and sand.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/4/chemistry

Dead reef rock (also referred to as base rock), tufa rock, but also crushed coral substrate may contain serious amounts of phosphates. Some is bound very tight (pretty dissoluble minerals), some may be dissolved given the proper biochemical environment. If you want to know approximately how much soluble phosphate is contained in a specific rock or substrate, it is possible to test it in a bucket with heated and moved salt water for some days. Contents of 1 mg phosphate per kilogram of rock or crushed coral, and higher have been determined that way. A tank in which such rock is used will have high phosphate concentrations for a long time. If phosphate rich rock material is already in your system, there are two possible solutions: Take out the rocks, or increase the phosphate output of your system (see below on how to control and export phosphate).

Testing for Phosphate
When it comes to phosphates, tests kits aren't telling you the whole truth of what is in your tank. http://packedhead.net/2014/skeptical-reefkeeping-ix-test-kits-chasing-numbers-and-phosphate/

Testing for phosphate is complicated. One can readily test for one of the common forms of phosphorus in reef tanks, inorganic orthophosphate, but testing for organic phosphorus compounds is considerably more tedious. Moreover, if there is an algae “problem”, then the algae may be consuming the phosphate as fast as it enters the water, masking the issue. Consequently, reef keepers may not recognize that they have a phosphorus problem, only that they have an algae problem. This article describes some of the issues around phosphorus in reef tanks, including the forms that it takes, its origins, ways to test for it, and most importantly, ways to export it. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/9/chemistry

What can you do to control phosphate and algae growth?
Algae growth is a normal part of keeping aquariums. It is something that should be managed as you can't completely get rid of all algae types and growth. What you want to be able to do is manage it in a way where it isn't taking over the tank.

-- Use RODI water for mixing salt water and in the ATO. Limit the amount of phosphates being added to the tank.
-- Don’t overfeed. Make sure all food is consumed and not falling to the bottom of the tank to decay. Again, this is to help to limit the amount of phosphates being added to the tank.
-- If you are feeding frozen foods like krill, mysids, or brine shrimp, first thaw and rinse the food in either tank water or RODI water. The liquid in which these food are frozen can contain high levels of phosphates.
-- Use a skimmer. Keep up on maintenance for it to work efficiently and effectively. Skimming can take out organic phosphates. (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/10/aafeature)
-- Use GFO as a way to pull phosphorus out of the water. There are many brands on the market. (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/6/review) (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...osphate-removal-than-other-phosphate-removers) (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/2/chemistry)
-- Do weekly 10-15% water changes for several months to start to bring your phosphate levels down (some people bump up weekly water changes to 20% for a little while to get it in check). Siphon the sand bed with water changes and harvest all algae out of the tank. Phosphates that are bound up in algae can be pulled out of the tank can help to limit the amount of phosphorus that is being incorporated to the phosphate cycle that is happening in the tank.
-- Buying a combination of CUC to help to manage algae growth until you can get phosphate in check. Do research to target the CUC that will eat the algae that you are having issues with.
-- Some phosphates can be harvested by macroalgae, as such some aquarists use Chaetomorpha sp. macroalgae to help to lower phosphate levels.

I’m sure there are other things that can be added to this list, my list grows over time.

I would do all of the above to get a handle on your phosphate levels. And then once you have things better managed then you can decide to back off of a couple of items above (e.g. GFO or the amount of water changes you are doing).

Managing phosphate and algae is something that all reef keepers must do during the life of keeping their reef tanks. I hope you find this helpful, if not thought provoking.