Tank bred flame angels?

Tarasco

Does anyone know where I can get a tank bred flame angel? I know that liveaquaria had them a while back, but I haven't seen them anywhere else since. The other good place for tank bred fish is inlandaquatics, but they don't seem to have any. Got any ideas?

mps9506

I hadn't seen em in a while Mike.
TBH, I "heard" through the grapevine that the group that was producing them stopped doing flames because they couldn't compete with the wildcaught prices.
Therefore they decided to concentrate on the rarer varieties of angels.
Don't quote me on that though, we all know everything we read on the net is true right? :)

Maxx

I think Mike is right. The place that I know of was RCT Hawaii.

I sent them an email a few months back looking for captive bred Royal Gramma's and Black Cap basslets, and was told that they are only breeding the Respendant and the Interruptus angels.

Nick

Tarasco

Wow, that really sucks. I would pay the extra cash for a tank bred specimen for sure, but if they aren't available, I guess that's not even possible.

Maxx

Mike,
Try sending RCT an email.....things might have changed since I talked to them, and its not like you have to pay for postage....

Nick

Tarasco

I just heard fromBlackpearls in Hawaii, they are no longer rearing flame angels. They couldn't produce them cheaply enough to compete with the pricing of wild-caught specimens. They also said that they don't know of anyone who is breeding them now.

I still haven't heard from RCT, but it's probably the same story from them.

mps9506

It's a shame huh?
I noticed that around the same time the CB flames were released the prices on flame angels dropped on the wholesale lists and all the online retailers REALLY dropped there prices. Flames were selling online for $20 at some places while the wholesale costs were around $20-25 most of the time but dropped to about $10-$15.
Guess the wholesalers wanted to make sure they didn't lose their angelfish business after ORA took a big chunk of the clownfish market.
That's what I think happened anyways :)

Tarasco

It makes sense. I remember seeing the tank bred flames for about $80 bucks. I don't think that the average consumer would pay an extra $50 just because a specimen was not wild caught. And I guess production costs for angels are a lot higher than that of clown, gobies and dottybacks. It is a bummer.

Maxx

It is a shame. IMO paying $80.00 for a captive bred flame which has no parasites, no feeding issues, and a guarantee of no cyanide is a steal. My tank jsut wasnt ready for one when they were for sale. I would happily pay more for a captive bred fish, just for the sake of knowing what its background was and its adaptability to new environments...
I see a time in the near future, (less than 10 years is my guess) where legislation is passed which strictly regulates the collection and sale of marine organisms.
Then we'll all be happy to pay only $80.00 for a flame angel.

Nick

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

mps9506

cheeks69 said:
Besides that you can keep several of them together with no aggression which is quite amazing if anyone has seen wild ones together in the same tank...lol

That's the really cool part IMO. Can't beat being able to keep 4 flame angels in a 75 gallon tank :D

Tarasco

Thanks for the info Robert. The Advanced Aquarist article points out that Black Pearls stopped producing flames, I guess if I had looked harder I wouldn't have had to email them.

My first fish were a pair of tank bred black and white clowns, and those guys were practically bulletproof. If anything showed me that tank raised was the way to go, that was it. The extra money spent on them was definitely worth it. Likewise, I would have paid the extra cash to get three flames, like I was planning to. It's just disappointing that this isn't even an option now.

Tarasco

Just to follow up, RCT said that they aren't breeding flames and that they don't know of anyone who is.