tang

jcgardner

Not that I know of. They need a long tank, like 6 foot, so they have enough room to swim. Maybe someone else will be able to help.

hmm my lfs lied to me :grr: they tried to tell me that a kole tang or a powder brown tang would both do good in a 50....guesss not

DaveK

hmm my lfs lied to me :grr: they tried to tell me that a kole tang or a powder brown tang would both do good in a 50....guesss not

Yea, LFSs do that sometimes. More often than not it's not a deliberate lie. It's more likely that they just don't know.

You did the right thing by checking first.

keithrett

I have a yellow tang that lives in my 50 gallon frag tank. The tank is 48" L x 24" W x 12" H. The tang is really happy and swims around all the time. He is however getting larger and I fear the inevitable, I will eventually need to trade him in or get a bigger tank. I'm pulling for a bigger tank. lol

EDIT
What the guy said below me is completely true, always research the fish you want before you get them and be careful about listening to employees at LFS. My LFS has books that they will let you look at before buying anything from their store, its a good way to make sure whatever you are looking to buy will thrive in your tank.

Last edited:

bbe22

Quite often, LFS's are like used car salesman, they don't know much about the product, but they want to sell you something today. Tang's get big, some get over a foot long. They also like A LOT of room to swim. If they were athletes they would be marathon runners. They also like lots of plants. Don't plan on them eating all your algae though. They prefer nori and spirulina. Without knowing too much about your tank, I'd guess it's a tall configuration tank if it's a 50 and not a 55, but I could be wrong. If it is the case, that definitely won't make for a happy tang. One more thing, almost all tangs should be kept as the only particular breed. The only exception I know of is a yellow tang, which is commonly kept in group of at least three, but that won't really work in a 50 gallon. Good luck :)

ahh i think i'll avoid the tangs for now lol thanks for your input everyone just wanted to make sure before i did anything stupid lol

we at the BigAl's in newmartket have a fully mature purple tang in a 30 biocube. Happy as ever, swims 24/7. has once since i worked there gotten ich, which was treated and gone after 2 days. in the 75G we have a fully mature yellow tang and a fully mature flame angel. Never had any problems.

Remember, whatever you read up on in both books or online, those are just guidelines as what to do. The important thing on keeping tangs in anything less than 100G is that your water parameters are in check and if less than 100G do only 1 tang, and no other large fish.

WVUReefer

I personally keep a T. bristle tooth in my 65g...it is fully grown at 8 in. and is very fat. He is mature as his white tailfin is now a blue hue and the brown pigment in his body has gone maroon...I have had him for 3yrs..Now, it does help that the only decent size fish companion in the tank with him is a copperband bf..