tang

clownfish02

hi, i am going to get a 6x2x2 fowlr and i ws going to get either a shoal or a clown tang, which is the least agressive and less prone to diesases, thanks ryan

DrHank

The Sohal is one of the most aggressive tanks that money can buy I wouldn't recommend it for tanks smaller than 240 gallons 8x2x2. It should probably be one of the last fish added too.

fivel

6x2x2 is the 180 gallon range, correct? I would pick the clown tang because of their cool design and awesome personality. My good friend has one and he might as well be a puppy for as much personality as he shares... they're awesome :)

lcstorc

Tangs are no more ich magnets than any other fish. They are just a bit more likely to show the visible signs. To be sure the tang is ich free you would need to go through a full treatment of copper or hyposalinity. If the other fish in the tank have ich (and if they were not treated before entering the tank, they likely do) then the parasite will attach to the tang anyway. ICH is a parasite that must be eliminated from the tank and then new fish treated before adding to the system.

reefmasta

they are easily stressed also, which makes the signs more visable. only buy quarenteened fish and net caught. so you can preserve your investment and be happy of urr purchase.

fivel

I remember when I first got into this hobby that everyone used to tell me that Tangs were huge ick magnets and what not - and because of that I had always been afraid of having them in my tank. Although now we've learned more that tangs aren't any more prone to it than any other kind of fish - they're disadvantage is they tend to get stressed easy, which lowers their immune system and makes them more likely to get any type of disease, not just Ick. I've had many different fish in my tank over the years and never once has my tang actually gotten Ick... so I definitely wouldn't let that stop you from having a beautiful and playful addition like a clown tang :)

As far as quarantining goes... it's the same amount of time for any new addition. I actually don't QT my fish ahead of time because I know where they come from and know they are in good hands before I add them to my tank. Regardless - I'm sure some day this will bite me in the bum, but for now... I don't have a QT tank set up and have been lucky with additions lately. Plus... I only have plans on adding one more fish to my tank to finally finish off my setup, so hopefully I can get away with one more to complete my system. So, although I'm not the best versed in QT, I believe most people leave any new fish in the QT tank for a minimum of 2 months - with the QT tank being treated with copper or with hypersalinity. This is for several reasons. If the fish has any ick parasites on it, they will die off with the copper and hypersalinity. It will also give you a great way of observing the fish to make sure he's eating right without competition from other fish, not sick, and adapting alright to your tank.

Clown tangs are more aggressive than Sohal tangs. That's why you should consider a Chocolate tang, or a Gem tang....

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

fivel

Let's try this... what are you looking for in a tang... color? personality? There are a lot of choices out there to consider depending on what you are looking for. I don't know a lot about Sohal Tangs just because I never see them on the live fish sites that I visit - so I never read much about them. Clown Tangs are aggressive, but most any tang is aggressive to some extent. Clown Tangs do get to be 15" long and do fall into the category of "Very Difficult" in regards to their care level.

Give us an idea of what you want to get from having a tang in your tank and maybe we can give you some suggestions that would fit into your tank as well as work out in the long run?

clownfish02

well i do like the nice colour pattern of the clown but i am also going to get a naso blonde and a powderblue and a scopas, so i want good compability between them.

robsreef

Hey! Yes the sohal is aggressive, and clown tangs can be difficult (lol). Size does matter with tangs so buy accordingly. The clown should be slightly larger than the sohal and introduced simultaneously if possible. If not, put the sohal in last as suggested. Rearranging the rock can help or take out the most aggressive tang and QT for a few hours then reintroduce. No matter what you do - tangs love to duke it out at first to find out who's boss. After that (and some fin sculpting!) they'll pretty much become buddies (within the pecking order that is!)after a coupla few days! I have a sohal, a kole, a blue eyed kole, a chevron, a tommini, a powder blue, a purple, and a Hawaiian sailfin. Planning on a vlamingi, a clown and a desjardini in the near future! They always have some "conflict" with the new kid on the block - but as I said - just match the size of the new guy with the aggressiveness of the tangs in the tank, taking into consideration how aggressive the new guy will be when the smoke clears! Tangs are way cool and the best form of algae control in a high nutrient tank! Just make sure you give em plenty of algae based foods (especially the clown - which is why some find them hard to keep). Mine really tear up 2 little fishies purple sheets, emerald entree, and omega 1 kelp pellets, plus whatever I feed my other inhabitants! Try to stay away from babies though- they seem harder to keep as far as tangs go.
As far as ich - in my experience - hyposalinity qt seems best. The wholesaler I get my livestock from uses hyposalinity for all his fish. I never have a problem this way. A cleaner goby, shrimp, etc., goes a long way too. I'm one of the lucky guys who owns a bali cleaner wrasse that eats other offerings and constantly picks on the fish and my cuticles!!! I have this wrasse for a year and a half which is not the norm, but he always picks at all the tangs - maybe its what keeps him alive!!! Hope this helps!!! Enjoy your tangs and fare them well!!