Tang I.D.

apjunky

I bought this tang at the LFS . They had it in a frag tank for months . They could never catch it to sell it to me so when they moved to a new location I was able to get it during the tank teardown . its only about 3 inches long now . Anyone know what it might be ? He is the top one .
Darren
Btang.jpg

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Darren:

Looks like a Acanthurus coeruleus or a blue tang? Hopefully others will pipe in...

Cheers!
:thumbup:

mps9506

Sorry I missed this post before. I would say it is Acanthurus nigrofuscus, aka Lavander tang.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I am going to say it is a Thompson's Tang, Acanthurus thompsoni. Do not let its tail deceive you

BigReepher

It looks like a Thompson's Tang to me. Most likely collected from Hawaii, you can tell from the lack of white on the tail. Thompson's have tons of character but you don't see them in the LFS much.

SueT

Darren, I think I have a tang just like yours. I got mine locally. It was listed on the tank as a blue eyed tang. I have been bugging them to find a true id. Close as I've got is the lavendar tang.

Does your have interupted lines on the body?? And tiny spots on the head??

Mine also when mad and chasing another fish will change colors. The tail and head usually stay the same color but body color can become almost translucent or kind of like a mustand yellow. Thats only when it's being a meany.

They are a beautiful tang and even if mine is a bit of a meany I still love this fish.

apjunky

Mine dosent have any lines or spots . Never seen any color change either . I,ve taken about 50 pics of him but he dosent like to pose so I can never seem to get all of him in one pic. This one is pretty close to his real color and the bright blue around the top and bottom of his fins shows a little in it .
more-fish.jpg

Does your have interupted lines on the body?? And tiny spots on the head??

Mine also when mad and chasing another fish will change colors. The tail and head usually stay the same color but body color can become almost translucent or kind of like a mustand yellow. Thats only when it's being a meany.

They are a beautiful tang and even if mine is a bit of a meany I still love this fish.[/QUOTE]

Boomer

I still say it is a Thompson's :)

That is ene big ass errant poly worm in that tank. Looks like some kind of Rag-Worm very close to Nereis virens

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Boomer said:
I still say it is a Thompson's :)

That is ene big ass errant poly worm in that tank. Looks like some kind of Rag-Worm very close to Nereis virens

Hey Boomer....I thought that was the arm(s) of the brittle star, Ophiarachna incrassata.

apjunky

well , at least everyone agrees its a Tang !

Cuffem , how big is your Lavender ? Maybe the stripes will come in Later on mine .

And yes thats a brittle not a worm .
Darren

Boomer

Hey Nikki that is what happens when I get no sleep for two days :lol:

Cuff

Look at the slope of the forehead of apjunky's and yours and this Thompson's

Thomposn's
acanthurus_thompsoni27207.jpg

apjunky's
Btang.jpg

Lanvendar
Acanthurus_Nigrofuscus(Spot-cheeked-Surgeonfish).JPG

t0726e9h.gif

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Hey boom...no sleep for 2 days....I applaud you dedication to IDing this tang but get some sleep now! :rolleyes:

Cheers!
:thumbup:

cuffem

Yeah with a better picture yours is definately different than mine. The head shape is way different.