Tang Advice

Hi I'm grape

Hello! i've just gotten myself a 130gal 6ft tank. ive got a 40g sump and id love some advice for tang/larger sized tanks/fish!
i'm a little lost on what i should be putting inside the display tank.... thnks for the advice!

DaveK

You did the right thing by asking about tangs and other fish before you purchased anything.

As for what you want to add to the tank, that is mostly up to you. After all, it's your tank. The key factor is what do you want out of the system? You could choose smaller fish and have more of them or a few large ones. You could want an all out reef system with many corals or a tank geared to the fish.

My personal choice is for smaller fish and mostly soft corals, but don't feel you need to copy me.

Hi I'm grape

I was thinking more along the lines of a few larger fish I found the harlequin tusk on live aquaria and was thinking of that wth a powder blue tang, a bursa/red tail trigger, a hardwicke wrasse and maybe some maroon clowns but not sure on the clowns
So I don't need to get a big giant piece for the display? Like I could get a log from the lfs or smthing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cracker

Grape, there may be laws about taking rock from the beach in Ca. Also What's the composition of this rock? . I mean for an aquarium You need porous rock for bacteria and such to live. If the rock at Your beach is of say granite it won't work for You.

Hi I'm grape

So I don't need something for the fish to swim around? Like a big upside down U ?

cracker

You will need some type of rock in the tank . I need to be careful not to give bad advice here.
What do you have in mind for filtration ?

DaveK

I was thinking more along the lines of a few larger fish I found the harlequin tusk on live aquaria and was thinking of that wth a powder blue tang, a bursa/red tail trigger, a hardwicke wrasse and maybe some maroon clowns but not sure on the clowns
So I don't need to get a big giant piece for the display? Like I could get a log from the lfs or smthing?

Typically what you do is build up a structure of rock, using live rock, or dry base rock. or some of each. You will need about 130 pounds of rock to do this. You want large pieces, but not too large. You use them to create a structure where the fish can hide. You can also use items like pvc pipe to build an internal structure for the rock to go on top of.

As a note, the driftwood you see being sold in LFSs should not be use in SW tanks. The ceramic aquarium decorations you can get will not harm the water, but I think they look terrible in a tank.

Hi I'm grape

What about driftwood from the beach? Bring home a big log and carve out caves and tunnels ?

DaveK

What about driftwood from the beach? Bring home a big log and carve out caves and tunnels ?

Generally you don't want wood in a SW tank. Too much chance of it leaching something unwanted.
It goes deeper than that. You need quite a bit of space in the tank for live rock. That is the biological filtration system in a SW tank. A lager amount of wood could keep you from having enough rock.

DaveK

Actually, a refugium or sump is not a good place for live rock. This is because it often becomes a dirt trap, and in time a "nitrate factory". In the tank it's easy to blow out the live rock with a powehead. In a refugium or sump it's almost impossible, so dirt accumulates.

This doesn't mean you can't use any rock in a refugium. Just make sure it's rock that you can clean out easily and is on the minimal side.

Hi I'm grape

Planning on getting a trigger systems sapphire 39 sump
Still deciding on pumps powerheads and slimmer
I wanted to get a hotb overflow box and return bc the tank is glass and super heavy so Idk if I'll be able to take it to the lfs and back home
Any recommendations for sump supplies? Thanks!