Tall mushrooms

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
I was wondering if it is normal for mushrooms to look like well..mushrooms?
Everytime i see a tank with shrooms they are flat on a rock just covering it and it seems like mine are always standing up and never flat. They look great and are always fully open . Is this normal? I have red mushrooms and one purple fyi-thanks

john

your shrooms are fine,usually stretch out searching for more light but are perfectly healthy!

lcstorc

Mine stretch out and have even detached from their rock and found a new home. Then a new one grows from the stump of the original.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
john said:
your shrooms are fine,usually stretch out searching for more light but are perfectly healthy!

Yeah... my tank has high intensity lighting, so I try to shade my shrooms to get them to strech out. I like the effect more than when they just lay flat

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
Great! That makes me feel better. Does that mean i need brighter lights...i have 250 watts of pc's.
Yeah they all look good ,one was what looked like splitting. It was stretching its foot out then retracted and left a bit of it self on another part of the rock. Its been a couple of days.I suspect a new shroom will grow from that new blob he left?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yep, mine are flat to the rocks except for a few that are shaded; those stretch up for more light.

The blob left over will grow a new one. Mine jump like that occassionally. You can also slice them to encourage faster splitting.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
Slice them..?!! I've heard of that but i dont think im ready for that! With what a razor blade? Where would you slice it? At the foot ? I'd be too afraid i'd do somthing wrong and kill it.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Razor blade or scissors... I used to slice mine like a pie.. right through the center to make 2 halfs. You could just try one shroom until you're more comfortable with it. Mine have spread enough now, so I don't slice any longer.