Taking The Flame Angel Challenge..Share your success or disaster

I know the fish is hit or miss when it comes to nipping corals in a reef, so if you have had success I would like to know what MAY have contributed. What size is your tank? What do you feed? How often? What other fish do you keep? and any other information you think might be helpful.

If you've had a disaster, share it as well. What did the flame have an attraction to? Did it nip from day one, or was it in your tank for a long time before doing so?

I'd like to get specific information relating to Flame Angels here tather than CB's or other dwarf angels.

HORNFISH

Well I have had it go both ways with the same flame angel. I had him in a 46 gallon bow front with a yellow tang , 5 chromis, swiss guard, and tons of corals. He nipped at everything, sps, lps, clams, tankmates, and me once or twice. I pulled him out and put him in a 30 gallon tall tank with as many corals, clams, etc.. no nipping. He lives with a mandarin goby, purple psud, and blue damsil. No probs. Same feeding pattern of half vhp cube/angel specific cube every other day. Hope this helps. Maybe it was the yellow tang that kept him hyper???

Joe69

I recently added a flame angel to my tank and he is a model citizen. I was affraid as you were about him nipping on corals. Before I bought him I watched him at the LFS for over an hour. He was in a tank with tons of coral and clams. He never bothered any of them and he just picked at the rocks.

I've had him in my tank for a couple of weeks and I have not seen him pick at anything but hair algae. I feed him frozen Ocean Nutrition Pygmy Angel Formula, mysis shrimp, frozen Formula 2, and Cyclop-eez.

If possible try and buy one that is already in a reef tank and good luck.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Had two of them in the past and they were fine with most corals except Brains, Clams and Zooanthids, mine would nip them regularly.

cecilio

Hi
I Have One In My 72gals And One In My 155gals Both Are Well Behaving; I Have In Both Tanks Sps Lps Clams Etc And No Problem Yet; They Have Been There For 4 Month;once I Have A Purple Tang Which Was Terrible

billyr98

210g tank here with a flame angel.. no problems nipping at any corals... but i do have a coral beauty who just started at my green star polyps... oh yeah the coral beauty does hate my flame also.. But only see each other like once a day in there, no biggie...

jcoopergd

Had one for over a year and was a model citizen...then he started nipping at teh xenia....no problem....and a week later, nipping at the clam.....next day, rock out, fish out, fish back to the LFS...

j

BoomerD

I got a full grown flame when I bought my 180 a couple of years back. Put it in my 90, until I could get the 180 up & running with the changes I had envisioned...(never did get it going:( ) and it was a "model citizen" in my tank. Lost that one when the tank crashed about 6-7 months later, along with most of my other fish, but I'd try one again in a heartbeat...

prow

humm well it seems that the 50/50 reputation of the flame angel holds ture. the last one i had was perfectly behaved for almost 3 years, than started nipping at my brain. then start moveing and or tearing up feather dusters. from that time on anything i put in the tank he would go after. left everything else he left alone, except the brain and featherdusters, that was already in there. my zoo's never touched. but, when i try to add some more he always went for them. i tried adding many times always the same result. had a few other flames in the past, all followed that same type pattern.

i have had my lemonpeel angel for almost 3 yrs now ( i know its not a flame but its still a dwarf angel)...he was fantstic with everything in my tank (gsp and xenia) then i added zoa's and although never caught him, i think he was nipping at them...today however was the first true day that i caught him nipping at my new frogspawn (i dont know what it is but for a week he was perfectly fine with the frogspawn and now today all of the sudden he became very aggressive and nipped at it way more then i wanted it too!

i moved my frogspawn into my fuge for the time being and now im looking for a new home for my lemonpeel (althougth i dont want to get rid of my first fish, i know i need too) boooooo!

o yea i need some suggestions on how to get him out of there...not tearing down my lr...way to much work...any suggestions!?!

ReefDave

As far as flames in a reef, they seem to leave softies alone for the most part(2 tanks i maintain have them in, one is all xenia and the other is a mixed softy tank, most leathers and polyp type stuff) both have been running over a year and over 2 years respectively and both flames are model citizens....i have heard stories of them being hard on clams and fleshy lps type corals tho...i'd agree with everyone saying theyre 50/50....each fish is an idividual.....not all stick to the "rules"