t5ho vs. t12

reefer gladness

T5HO is far more efficient at converting electricity into light. About 93 lumens/watt from a 54-watt T5HO vs. 63 lumens/watt from an F34T12 lamp. T5HO bulbs will also last about twice as long and the T12 lamps used to have a noticeable humming noise.

As I recall federal legislation is also phasing out T8 and T12's because they don't meet minimum standards for efficiency. I would pass on any T12 "deals".

halo2rain

Ok so I have a 4 bulb 48" running at 54w per bulb its a odyssea light fixture is there any way to get more out of it or should I just upgrade to a better t5ho lights or leds I dont have lots of money at this point so itd probably have to be used

DaveK

You can get more light out of T5s. This is mostly because you can easily place a good reflector behind each bulb. This is a lot harder with T12 bulbs.

As for power consumption, a lot of T12 fixtures use the old "coil and core" ballasts. This is why you get the famous hum. These are not nearly as efficient an the electronic ballasts typically used on T5s. You can get electronic ballasts for T12 bulbs, and if you do, you will get a bulb life and power consumption similar to T5s. What you will not get is the better light output.

All that being said, T12 lighting, while not the "hot item" anymore, is far from poor lighting. If your existing bulbs are ok, I'd hold off on upgrading to T5s. You will also find that you can sometimes get very good prices on T12 bulbs.

When it comes bulb replacement time, then look into replacing the T12 Bulbs or upgrading to T5s or LEDs. Consider the cost of the bulbs verses the cost of the new fixture. Most new fixtures will include bulbs, so sometimes it can be a tough call.

halo2rain

you guys know a lot i would have never known about the ballast differences in the t12 and t5ho ballasts. but what i guess i confused you about davek was my light fixture i have, it is an odyssea 4 bulb t5ho light fixture running at 54watts per bulb 2x actinics and 2x 10k sunlights. my apologies for being confusing and not specific. what i was asking is if i could get anymore light out of that odyssea t5ho fixture like getting better reflectors or if i should just upgrade to a better fixture brand with more bulbs and better reflectors like a tek or something like that ill take a picture and post what the light fixture looks like from the bulb side of it its ummm very plain and not that thought out it was a bargain fixture