T5 Par Question

prow

Does anybody know what the PAR is for an Ocean White 10,000K 24w HO T-5?
yeah grim has tested many bulb ballast and reflector combos. the PAR is determined by your ballast and reflector just as much as the bulb. what type ballast and reflector and bulb is it? then there is how deep the tank is and at what the water level is you take the reading.

The fixture is a 24" Current USA Nova Extreme. Not sure what ballast is used in that fixture. I replaced the stock bulbs with 2 UVI Super Actinic and 2 Aqua Medic 10K Ocean White. I am not currently using any reflectors to overdrive the bulbs. Tank depth is 20".

I'm considering upgrading the bulbs and adding Icecap reflectors. But I really want to know what my current PAR rating is, or at least get a ball park figure, so that I know which way to go next.

The tank houses lots of softies and leathers along with 4 LPS and 2 SPS. All are thriving. The SPS are alive and well with good color but not growing as fast as some others that I've seen and I think the bulbs are the reason.

prow

the nova extreme, i think, does not come with individual reflectors. dont know of any tests done on it. but just by adding individual reflectors you will increase PAR levels big time. i would start with just adding either icecap SLR reflectors of TEK 2 reflectors.

yeah, the Nova doesn't have an individual reflector option. I checked out the TEK 2s today. Seems like they're a bit better than the Icecaps. They're a couple of bucks cheaper too. I think I'll give that a shot before buying new bulbs. Thanks for the tip Prow.