t5 or not

TangMang232

ahh ic ic, im dumb lol. Cut the dowels at about 20" in length right lol. my tank is about 18" deep. im guessing this is what your talking about.

CMG

I hope I am not thread jacking but I dont think I should start a new thread jsut for this question and its kinda related. I am upgrading from PC (outer orbit 65watt) to T5 (current usa outer orbit pro). Do I need to acclimate using this screen method??

I have some mushrooms and some polyps and thats it. Thanks! Oh and if I thread jacked I can just ask the mods to erase this..

TangMang232

okay native, so im set with my 65 gallon. another question though:

I received a 60 gallon tank for free from petsmart, and i was thinkin of doing an sps only tank. Now i understand there are drawbacks due to the tank being 12-13 inches front to back, so not much room for aquascaping but ill get it to work lol. Anyways the question is, the DIY light 4 bulb 48" setup has a 660 ballast but it says that its HO, would this be VHO by any chance?? Heres a link:

https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop...d=459&osCsid=40f3ced87035d413430184141b2ce143

Also plans for 125 will start in june-august time. ill be sure to start a chronical of all my tanks.

TangMang232

thats probably the one thing that confuses me the most is that they don't specify HO and VHO out put but rather one output lol. I get lost all to easily.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I really don't know what NATIVEVAMAN is talking about, it's the ballast that dictates the wattage not the bulb. The Icecap 660 ballast originally was made to run 4 110w T12 VHO bulbs now this was way before T5's came out on the market. Now people are using this ballast to run the T5 HO bulbs and by using this ballast your overdriving these bulbs and that's why people are getting more watts out of the bulb.

Who said anything about a bulb putting out more watts than a ballast can provide?I believe you were correct when you said you didnt know what I was talking about.What we are talking about is a ballast creating 380 watts from 4 bulbs that are not overdriven.It is really not that complicated.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Who said anything about a bulb putting out more watts than a ballast can provide?I believe you were correct when you said you didnt know what I was talking about.What we are talking about is a ballast creating 380 watts from 4 bulbs that are not overdriven.It is really not that complicated.

Well you'll have to excuse me but I have difficulty understanding why a manufactorer would sell a 54 w bulb and a ballast getting 85 watts out of that bulb and it not being overdriven :stars:

Also could you please provide me with a llink to T5 VHO's I've been searching and I can't find it TIA.

TangMang232

boy now im really lost. I was under the assumption that t-5 VHO was the correct term. Whats T5V-HO stand for?? Im sorry guys im sure im driving you all nuts with my questions but im just hoping the kit that i ordered with the UVL bulbs is going to give me the best bang for the buck?