T5 lighting

sarah

Hi everyone,
Thinking of up gradeing my lights to the T5 range Could i please have some help please.

Thanks Sarah xxx

Pro_builder

Sarah, Sorry, I don't know much about the T-5 Lighting setups.
Here is a bump. I will do some checking on it tonight for ya.
Were are you thinking of getting them from?
What sizes? (Length) Do you know the Wattages of the bulbs.
Thanks, Troy

sarah

Troy i need a 120 cm unit with 2 36wtts and 2x 55w bulbs.
Ive been looking on the internet.

Thanks Sarah xxx

P.S is that enough info.:)

Cougra

Pro_builder:

I've heard a lot of people say that they are just as intence as the VHO lighting. They ahave been used in Europe for a while now with good results at a fraction of the price. The Actinic bulbs are still difficult to get though. You may want to check into the spectrums available. I have thought about getting the T-5's as well as a more affordable sollution to improving my lighting in the tank.

Pro_builder

Cougra, That is what I have been reading. I'm just not sure that I want to jump on the bandwagon just yet. Things seem to change to fast in this hobby
Thanks for the info

Brucey

Sarah .... my LFS guy who is really into his corals says that they just don't work as well as MH ..... If you haven't got MH already and your serious about growing SPS then I don't think T5's can touch them
JMO
Brucey

Icebox

Now this is not first hand experience, but from what I have read the t-5's are suppose to be brighter than traditional VHO bulbs, and use half the power. This still does not mean that they are up to the same standards as MH bulbs. 1 disadvantage to them is that they do not have the reflector built into the bulb like the URI VHO's so you need a reflector for each bulb if possible. By the time you add that, the bulbs are not smaller than a VHO, though they still require less electric to run. I expect them to be a lot cooler as well, but That is mroe or less a guess. I just ordered a pr of them, to go with a pr of vho antics. I hear that is a pretty good conbination.

http://www.aquaencounter.com/ has some good info about the lighting itself.

Once apon a time I saw a link for individual reflectors for these bulbs but, I guess I forgot to bookmark it.

Edit: I think the reflectors are at :
http://www.aqualuxlighting.com/reflectors.html Thanks Probuilder.

HTH

Last edited:

mnreefman

thanks for all the info, i was thinking bout taking out my pcs and replacing them with the t-5's...

sarah

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all your info but after getting a electric shock from my old lights i have opted to trie the T5 ordered them of the net for 135. 00 pounds including bulbs, hopeing to be here on monday i will keep u updated on them.
[THANKS TO RUBBER]
SARAH XXX

Pro_builder

Sarah, keep us posted on before and after pictures, if ya can. Also, growth picture updates. Thanks, hope everything works out good for you.

sarah

Still waiting for my lights might be here tomorrow when they come i will post picys

Thanks sarah xxx :(

Icebox

Sarah, My lights arrived today. :) well some of them. Now I am waiting on the t-5 reflectors that I ordered, and the VHO antics. I can not wait to see how these things look. :)

sarah

At last, got my t-5s look good post picys later,

Icebox, how are you getting on with yours, mine have a built in refectors,

SARAH XXX

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Here, I think you got the thumbnail pic:)
Looks good, let us know how you like them, my LFS sells single bulb retrofits for real cheap, and I might get some if I see enough people get good results.
331marine_6.jpg

Icebox

Those are loking good.

mine are doing pretty well. I threw them up with 36" vho antics, so one end of the tank is a lttle yellow, but I am really impressed with how bright the tank it. They are warmer than I thought they would be.

But overall I am really happy with them. :) I will get some picts in the next day or two.

sarah

Fidojoe, thanks for making picy bigger can not seem to do it my self, shame about the junk a round.

Thanks alot again i will keep updated.

Sarah xxx :D

wooddood

the wood dude
sounds great all,im interested in them but would like to hear alittle more about you guys like them compared to your other lights.thanks.