T-5 reflectors too wide

joephys

I have a 4 bulb T-5 retro fit kits. Each bulb has individual reflectors. The specifications on the reflectors suggested that 4 would fit over a 29 gallon aquarium. Turns out they are just a bit too wide. Theoretically if they were bent down a bit they should retain their parabolic shape, but I am afraid that if they don't bend right I may mess them up.

Has anyone had success bending down reflectors to make them more narrow? The reflectors are TEK II if that helps at all.

doubleduece

You can bend the reflectors, I've done it quite a few times, and cant tell the diffrence. You are basically norrowing a pretty wide reflected beam, if the lights are less then 8" above the tank it wont make much of a diffrence. Also try to just bend the two outer ones, most of that reflected light is hittinf the glass..

prow

bending them will change things up, likely to end up with less light directed into the tank. your eyes may not see it but your corals will feel it. can you get away with just bending one? if so bend the atinic bulbs reflector. what bulbs do you have, include wattages?

prow

i am thinking that too chome91, but there are some odd ball sizes out there like some of coralife liner strip bulbs; they come in 21 watt 34" bulbs and 14 watt bulbs come in 22". i try not to assume too much..

joephys

I have four 24 watt HOT-5's, 2 actinics, and 2 11,000K.

the biggest thing I am worried about is not bending them right. If I just bend them down, the bends in the reflector won't be focusing the light back down into the aquarium, but to the sides, which wouldn't accomplish anything.

I am just trying to decide if it would be better to bend one, or if I should just let of the reflectors be overlapped a bit. At this point I am thinking that overlapping one of the actinic reflectors, and not bending anything would be best.

prow

the biggest thing I am worried about is not bending them right. If I just bend them down, the bends in the reflector won't be focusing the light back down into the aquarium, but to the sides, which wouldn't accomplish anything.
your right, bending them will cause light to get reflected back into the bulb then refracts leading to lost lighting and intenstiy. some of the light will also get lost as it gets reflected out sideways.

I am just trying to decide if it would be better to bend one, or if I should just let of the reflectors be overlapped a bit. At this point I am thinking that overlapping one of the actinic reflectors, and not bending anything would be best.
overlapping(covering) the actinic reflector would be the better choice, IMO..