T-5 bulb brand selection

Triggerjay

I run two 54w T5 actinics over my 125g reef. They lit for the first time around christmas, and have already burned out. I have checked the ballast with some different bulbs, and it is OK.. What is the normal lifespan on T5 bulbs? Maybe I just ended up with el-cheapo bulbs. What brand bulbs do you guys run that are RELIABLE? These are the bulbs that crapped out on me:
48" (HO,T5) Actinic 03 54W - TRU - 4803TRU

Thanks

Jason

Triggerjay

Just found this info.. looks like my bulbs failed slightly early..:

Use these T-5 HO Tubes as replacement tubes for the Nova Extreme, Marineland T5-48 fixture, IceCap T-5 Reflectors, or any appropriate T-5 fluorescent light fixture. Use T-5 tubes with T-5 compatible light fixtures with high-powered electronic ballasts to help increase efficiency and tube life. The average life of T-5 tubes is 2 years, with the blue/actinic spectrum lamps lasting up to 18 months

Jason

A few of those units that folks buy on e bay have chinese bulbs in them.Generally the bulbs have no markings on them or if they have markings they make no sense.I would say that you at least have a free set of bulbs coming.

Triggerjay

The bulbs I lost were bought stand-alone. The fixture is DIY. I think the ballast is an advance 54x2 HO t5 if I remember correctly..

Jason