Switching to a nano cube

r2d2

Hi all, Its been a lot since my last post here. I took a hard choice but necesary:

I've sold my 75g including all my livestock and rocks!

Electricity bills where out of control and chiller is broken so temp control started to become a real problem.

So.... Im planning to start all over again but this time with a 28 or 29 gal cube.
What would be a best choice? JBJ, Oceanic or RedSeaMax???

I like a lot JBJ 28 LED, low energy consumption, low heat emission and long lamp life.

I dont like PC from Oceanic or RedSea Max, lot of heat and need to change lamps every 6 or 9 months...

Any comments?

Greetings

Last edited:

mro2you2

Oceanic have build it fans to keep down heat. I have a ocean and I :heart: them!all you need is a heater, and a skimmer.

Well I have a RSM 130D and it is a 34 gal so it is a little bigger than the oceanic or JBJ, I also looked @ those before I baught. I went with the RSM for the quality of the tank and components, and it is truly a complete system....you dont need to buy anything else. I understand your heat concerns and electricity cost's. so you will need to make your own decision...But IMO you cant beat the RSM.

r2d2

JBJ has 4 built-in fans in canopy.
A very nice feature of RSM is built-in timer and power control panel. Also has skimmer included.
Skimmers in Biocube and Nanocube are optional and both are air driven. Does any one knows a good alternative for skimmer in those cubes?

JBJ has 4 built-in fans in canopy.
A very nice feature of RSM is built-in timer and power control panel. Also has skimmer included.
Skimmers in Biocube and Nanocube are optional and both are air driven. Does any one knows a good alternative for skimmer in those cubes?
The RSM 130D has 3 fans in the hood, 2 for cooling lights and 1 to help keep water temp down when hot.

magnetar68

I have an RSM 130D. My advice is this:

If you know what you want to keep and you know that it will do well in smaller all-in-one tank with its size, flow, lighting, and filtration etc, then the nanos can be a fine investment. The different brands have their pros and cons. I am only familiar with the RSM 130D.

IMHO, the RSM tank is well designed, but their quality needs to be improved. The tank itself is well made, but the accessories (pumps, heater, skimmer) are not great. Some people have no issues, others do. That is what is meant my poor quality. I spent a lot of money upgrading mine.

I have found myself upgrading enough stuff that I would have probably been better off buying the pieces separately, but the RSM let me learn a little at a time, so it was probably the best route for me.

My total investment for the RSM has been about $2500. That includes everything: tank, rock, sand, salt, books, test kits, supplements, animals, upgraded skimmer, upgraded flow, and upgraded filtration. Without all of the upgrades it would have been a fair amount cheaper.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I like the RSM personally but have never owned any of these tanks, this is just from browsing in the stores and checking them over.

lzrlvr

hi i have a 12 gal jbj nano cube its ok but it is not set up to add external components.make sure you purchase a tank that you can add components to.