Susan's RMS c250

Susanedw

well, over a week ago, my lights broke. First 2 bulbs went out, then 2 more, leaving with just 2 bulbs. Figuring it was 1 or 2 ballasts or some other sort of electrical (why would 2 go out at once) I started thinking. Taking into consideration removing hood, taking hood apart, I'd probably be smart to just replace all 3 ballasts or have 3 on hand just in case. After figuring the cost of 3 (200.00), replacing 6 bulbs lights in May (400) and then replacing them again in 8 months (another 400) and the cost and headache of using 4 fans to keep tank cool, that it made sense to convert to LEDs. I opted to buy steve's led retrofit led upgrade. Hubby and I made the switch yesterday. Scary as we couldn't get the new lights working--controller. There was power to the new leds. he didn't want to start cutting wires. I told him to do it. If needed I'd be able to get it working via customer service. There was a wire disconnected so it would prob. have been an easy fix (but why did the wire come off and what a pain if it happened again elsewhere.) So the hood is ready to go back on this morning. Having trouble getting the bluefish controller working so am using a piece of junk led fixture I had on hand. Pretty poor lighting... And if it takes too long, will pull the light from the sump of my other tank to add.

everything did okay with just 2 lights for a week. Leathers not so happy with the longer lights out since removing hood yesterday.

Update:

Good news! Got the controller working. I haz lights! Have them turned down for a few days for adjusting and will slowly ramp them up. Tank is def. more blue/purple than I'm used to at the moment. I have to say--something that surprises me, but my tank did not suffer at all. In fact I think it grew a ton with just a purple light and one other--not sure which one it was.

My blue toadstool looks like it almost doubled in size this last week. It's a monster. The torch is stretching pretty high--maybe have to move the powerhead. The palm cloves are a good inch taller. Mushrooms all doing good. Ricordia is spreading and mutiplying like nuts, giant palys getting huge and the acro didn't seem affected at all. Other leather is also doing good and nothing bothers the duncan it seems. Very pleased with the lights and the control I have. Good experience and can def. recommend Steve's LEDS

Susan