Surface water flow issue

essmaker

PREMIUM
I have a "reef ready" tank (meaning it has a box built into the tank for overflow) and am having an issue with surface water draining.

If you have ever looked at the surface water in your tank (from below), and have seen the floating stuff, this is what I am talking about.

The power head in my tank is causing turbulence at the surface preventing the floating stuff from going down the overflow. Only water under the surface is actually going down which means the floating stuff just accumulates on the surface.

The only thing that I can think of doing is moving the power head to the opposite side of the tank, which may mean having to rearrange some of the SPS in my tank so it doesn't get too much current. This would cause the turbulence to be away from the overfow box allowing for floating stuff to happily float away.

Any suggestions or insights?

Dennis7

My understanding is that your powerhead is creating a clean surface area by your skimmer, so the stuff on top isn't making to the skimmer. Is that correct? If so, I would move the powerhead in different locations and see what works best for you.
What type of sps', more like alot of current.

wooddood

the wood dude
i agree with dennis move the ph around until you get the flow you want.im sure it will be a trial and error type of thing.

Witfull

or try instead of moving it, redirect it to change flow. or every day or so shut it off for a short time.