Surface Oily HELP!!

ChitownRomeo

I have tried everything to get this film off my surface. I have pretty good surface aggitation and I can't get rid of this film. No I dont have a overflow to a sump. My Landlord won't have a added tank since I'm on the second floor. What can I do?

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Just use a good quality thick kitchen paper towel. Lay a few sheets flat on top of the water and lift it after a couple of seconds. Repeat with fresh paper towel until it has all gone. If you don't have any thick paper towel, you can use stale bread instead.
This is how we used to remove oil from stocks/sauces in the restaurant and it is how it is still done today. I've used it on my tank and it does work, just don't dunk the paper towel, you only lay it on top of the water (hence the need for a good quality, thick paper towel).

I have tried everything to get this film off my surface. I have pretty good surface aggitation and I can't get rid of this film. No I dont have a overflow to a sump. My Landlord won't have a added tank since I'm on the second floor. What can I do?

Newjack

I am just curious, do you ever use like a tubberware bowl for anything like scooping out water or anything at all?

I ask this because we don't have a dishwasher.. we are old school, and we wash everything with down dish soap. Well sometimes when your in a hurry, you use to much soap and don't rinse it well. The bowl get a slimy like feel to it but you cant tell when its dry.

The other day I was scooping out some water for WC and used one of these bowls. As soon as I dipped the bowl in my tank an "oily" film started excreting into the water. like yorkieUK said, I took some higher end paper towels and layered them across the surface. We use to do this for tank installs when something accidently gets into the water or grease gets on the glass and is not cleaned off before its filled.

So in short soap on tubberware + warm water = equals a oily like film.

ALSO, if you was your hands before reaching into the water and you use dish soap, make sure you rinse your hands really well with warm water not cold. I have done this before were I washed my hands with dish soap and cold water really quick and careless. and it did the same thing. Sometimes its not even noticeable at first. I wash my hand every time I touch my tank cause im a smoker. Even if I haven't smoked since I wash them cause I know that everything I touch like, pc mouse, keyboard, drinks, especially cell phone has that tar on them from me touching them. Always make sure im scrubbing between my fingers and in the webs and rinsing really well.
Ill stop rambling on now.

reefer gladness

Surface skimming is the low-maintenance way to deal with surface scum. Understand you don't have an overflow box and external sump but you do have an HOB skimmer right? Maybe you can play around with the power heads so the scummy water pools up near the skimmer.

DaveK

I am just curious, do you ever use like a tubberware bowl for anything like scooping out water or anything at all?...

I never have. Like most others I use about a 6 foot length of hose to siphon the water out. If I got to drain a sump I let the return pum remove as much water as possible, and then use a powerhead, with the 6 foot length of hose connected to it, to drain the rest. If I really need to get the tank or sump dry, I use a large natural sponge for that.

DesertOrchid

When I get a little too exuburant feeding frozen or other foods besides flakes there is a more noticeable film on the surface. I do not have an overflow on this tank either. Instead of paper towel I use a piece of the blue bond filter floss from Drs. Foster Smith. Cut it to the width of the tank and about 3 inches from top to bottom. Start at one end of the tank and dip the floss 1/2 way into the water then go from one end to the other. The oil substance gets caught in the floss and then rinsed down the drain. Reusable and doesn't sink like paper towels if you don't get them out in a hurry. Just another idea...........