Superfrog's RSM 130D

superfrog

Tank salted up and cycle started. Struggled to get an ammonia spike using pellet food. A bit of frozen mysis in an old stocking seems to have done the trick. Seachem Ammonia Alert disc showing 0.05 ppm. Yay! Now we wait...

SG: 1.023
Temp: 26 Celsius
PH: 8.0
Alk: 9.6
Ammonia 0.05 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

1CB60EE3-E1F1-4E7C-925C-D28978AA6C92.jpg

82A8031A-D7EE-4716-BBB6-9690CAC21BAD.jpg

superfrog

Thank you. Now for the boring wait while the cycle does its thing. Plan on using the time to refine the hardware setup. Going to be building a control wall of sorts in the cabinet to mount the controllers against with the wiring hidden behind it.

Also need to complete my water level kill switch for the skimmer...

superfrog

Quick update. Cycle progressed really nicely and looks to be done! :celebrate:

Readings at the moment:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.75
Phosphate 0

After getting a decent rise and fall of ammonia and nitrite I was quite surprised to see the low nitrate readings. Even used a different test kit to confirm. I'm pretty sure the low readings are attributable to the Nitra guard bio cubes I have been running since day 1 of the cycle.

Also have some very tiny spots of diatoms on the substrate.

I'm busy setting up a quarantine tank at the moment in anticipation of my first 2 inmates, a pair of clowns :)

Will see if I can get a tiny softy frag this weekend as well. Gonna hold off on CUC for another week until I see some more algae signs.

superfrog

Decided to upgrade my skimmer in the rsm 130. Picked up an Aqua Medic Turboflotor Blue 500 (could they have come up with a longer name :001_huh: ) yesterday.

Great build quality and dead silent operation. Has started foaming up quite nicely Even tho it's breaking in

72E0A36A-24E9-49D6-89BB-CB2BAFB067C0.jpg

BC850562-F167-4634-BE0D-F03D0FB11B77.jpg

This now replaces the Tunze 9002 and I'm impressed so far. Especially since my mini 60 reactor still fitted in the back with the new skimmer :thumbup:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Great little skimmer! I used one on my temporary tank when I restarted and only have good things to say :)

superfrog

So impressed with the AM skimmer. Had to share this pic of the skimmate. Never got anything close to this with the 9002.

pic from last night of 3 day's skimmate
7F598A0C-97F9-4AD3-8771-8207A429E63F.jpg

Bio load at the moment is 2 baby clowns, +- 5 tiny frags, 1 small elegance coral, 1 shrimp, 2 crabs and 3 snails