HELP! Sump

Concretepumper

I have a ram 250.and would like to run my cube sump but need to.know how to do the overflow build ect please help. Any info.would be awesome

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Can you please provide more detail, perhaps a photo of what you have and what you want to connect or a diagram drawn out?

It's a bit difficult to make any recommendation based on what you told us, and we don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Concretepumper

I don't have a diagram I have the ram 250 it has the built in sump in the back but I want to sump my own sump with my protein skimmer my sump is a ice cap cube sump I was just wondering about how to run and set up a aftermarket overflow system and also want to know what are my options when I do run my own sump what can I do with the built-in sump on the tank and should my return line from sump under Cabinet should it be plumbed to both return nozzles on the tank

DaveK

When you add a sump to an existing system, it is more or less a DIY project. There really is no one best way to do this because a lot depends upon what you want out of the sump and how large it is. In short, to a large extent, you are more or less on your own.

There are a number of correct ways to plumb a sump, depending upon what you want to do with it. I suggest you look at sump designs not only for the system you have but for reef systems in general. Learn what sumps can and can not do for you, and figure out the options you want in your sump.

What you do with the existing filtration system depends on what you want to include in your sump design. Since the system is fairly decent out of the box, I suggest you only include functions in your sump that you don't have or you consider inadequate in the standard design.

Your going to find out that for items like this there are not too many hard fast rules. There are some considerations to take into account. Like many things choosing one way of doing things may limit other things in the design.

I'll give one example. When you plumb something like this you can choose between clear plastic PVC hose and hose barb fittings or more traditional PVC pipe and fittings. Clear plastic hose is easy to install but those hose barb fittings restrict flow. PVC pipe will give much better flow, but is a lot harder to install and all the joints must be glued. This is a bit of oversimplification and you can use both methods at different points, but it makes the point about the design.

I suggest that you figure out what you want the sump to do, and how you want to set up and plumb it. Then post the design here, and let others offer suggestions and comments about it.