Sump

JeffroT

1st question
It seems like I haven't seen it very often but the sump could be next to the aquarium instead of under it couldn't it? I imagine space is why most go under.

2nd question
Is there a way to tell if the glass tank is tempered or not?

Thanks

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I would GUESS, that most often the sump is located beneath the tank to keep it out of sight & because gravity runs DOWN to get the water into the sump, then pumped back UP into the DT.
Somebody else can take on the tempered glass ??....:dunno:

Ratpack

As others have already said, the sump can be anywhere you want it as long as you can get water to it and from it.

As for the tempered glass, if you can get it into the sun, put on polarized sunglasses and you can tell. If it is clear, not tempered. If it has a rainbow effect, it is tempered.

JeffroT

Yes GOMA, That is exactly what I want to do with my sump. My reason tho is I was given a 150G tall tank for free and plan to use it for the sump. I didn't want to build my tank stand that tall. All of the components will be in a room behind the viewing wall. (tank will be wall mounted flush). So aesthetics are not an issue.

DaveK

1st question
It seems like I haven't seen it very often but the sump could be next to the aquarium instead of under it couldn't it? I imagine space is why most go under.

2nd question
Is there a way to tell if the glass tank is tempered or not?

Thanks

Actually placing the sump out side of the stand offers a lot of advantages. For on, you are not restricted in it's size. It's also a lot easier to work on and around. You are also not restricted be the height of things, so if you want that 4 foot tall skimmer, it's a non-issue. The downside is that some people don't lke the space a sump takes up or they consider it unsightly.

Yes you can tell if the tank glass is tempered. If you view it with polarized light , tempered glass will have a lattice pattern to it. Here is a source of polarizing filter material (offsite) - http://www.teachersource.com/product/polarizing-filters/light-color

The other way you can test is to try and drill the tank. If the tank glass crumbles in all small pieces, that glass was tempered, (grin) You may laugh, but more that a few people have occidentally use this method.

AJK

Completely agree with Dave :) I was going to place sump, next to 55 gal tank, cause I have back issues with age, but do to lack of space, had no choice, sump size, skimmer height, etc.... I built a custom stand. I need to purchase a larger home, Lol !!! Happy reefing !

Last edited: