Sump tank questions

Cyncity

Hello all...Im new to this wonderful hobby and Im trying to get everything in order before getting my very first 90 gallon reef tank up and running. I have the tank, stand, lights, salt, sand, refractometer, test kits, a sump tank, my tank is non-drilled and I have a few other random things. I got alot of good advice during my welcome message but have some more questions....

*I got a sump tank that came with bio-balls but Im hearing that bio-balls are bad. Are they not needed to remove bubbles?????
*Im just learning about a pre-filter sock for the skimmer? Dont know about that. Do I need one?
*Do I need a media bag with carbon somewhere in the sump?

Thanks in advance!!!

Varga

No bio balls. they are not recommended for reef tanks. They catch garbage and create their own ecosystem which is no good.

A sock is not an absolute necessity. I use one and love it. The only issue is having to wash it twice per week.

You should throw a carbon bag in there mainly to remove the toxins from softies. also keep carbon handy for when you suspect some nasty chemical accidentally getting in the tank. Its just charcoal which is known for catching poisons. They give it to dogs when they eat something bad :D

Jeremy0322

I dont really know if you want to use the sock on the skimmer, it would be more effective running on the drain line from the tank into the sump, its supposed to catch all the big stuff before it hits the sump.

If you are setting your sump up in sections you will have a place to set the carbon bag, if not you can just take a media bag and set it in the sump, but it needs to be somewhere with good flow, and you will want to tie it to something so it doesnt end up getting stuck in one of your return pumps of powerheads.

Do you have powerheads and heaters and that small stuff yet?

Cyncity

Thanks! The bio-balls will be out of the equation for sure then...I have a sump with 3 sections (it might have been meant for saltwater FO??). I'll get a carbon media bag and I'll look into the sock contraption. Im gonna go online tonight and order an aqua lifter pump and anything else I think or hear that I might need.

I have the heaters, powerheads, and I think everything else. Now its just a matter of putting it all together; where to put this and that, looking at alot of pictures online for help. I got a couple of big garbage cans for the big water project and then get all the live rock and pray everything comes together. Im hoping to set it all up on Monday, if not then next weekend.

I was going to put a mat/rug underneath the tank to protect the carpet from salt water splatter. Should I be concerned about that?

Cyncity

One more thing...I eventually want to have about 100 pounds of live rock. Do I need to get all of that initially or can I get about half??

Rhodes19

One more thing...I eventually want to have about 100 pounds of live rock. Do I need to get all of that initially or can I get about half??

You don't have too. You can add it as you go. I did that for my 29 gallon because of the $$$. If the LR is already cured from the LFS you should be ok. If you order it on line you may have some die off and some cycling again. If $$$ is an issue, you can get some base rock (dry rock) which is cheaper and add some LR to it. The base rock will take some time to inoculate but it will over time. HTH

Cyncity

Im gonna get cured LR from the LFS about 30 mins away from my house. I think I'll do 50 pounds to start and then another 50 in a few weeks. Then I'll continue to monitor for at least another few weeks before getting fish and coral. I just dont want to rush anything. Its taken me long enough as it is so another few weeks I guess wont kill me....

Rhodes19

Im gonna get cured LR from the LFS about 30 mins away from my house. I think I'll do 50 pounds to start and then another 50 in a few weeks. Then I'll continue to monitor for at least another few weeks before getting fish and coral. I just dont want to rush anything. Its taken me long enough as it is so another few weeks I guess wont kill me....

Sounds like a good plan to me. The key to reefing is taking it slow. Just monitor your water parameters and let the tank cycle. Here is a good article to real, myth # 15. Mything the Point, Part Three: Conclusion - Reefkeeping.com Its a nice write up about cycling tanks.

Jeremy0322

check craigslist and the for sale threads here for the live rock and everything, you will save a ton of money doing it that way, you can probably get all 100lbs for 200-250 bucks, which is probably what you are spending for the 50lbs from the LFS, finding that stuff from someone breaking down a tank will save you a good amount of money.

Cyncity

That would save me a ton of $$$$$.

I was going to put a mat/rug underneath the tank to protect the carpet from salt water splatter. Should I be concerned about that?

I have 2 Koralia 4's (one for each side), do you think that will be enough?

Rhodes19

That would save me a ton of $$$$$.

I have 2 Koralia 4's (one for each side), do you think that will be enough?

My wife made me place a mat under the 45 to protect the wooden floors. I don't know why, I never make a mess :D I'm not going to tell her about the salt build up on the wall behind the tank though.

As for the Korolia's, each produce 1200 gph so that is 2400 gph. The amont of flow you want in your tank varies depending on what you want to grow in it. Some say you want 5-10 times the aquariums volume to 20x the aquarium's volume. So I think you will be ok. Don't forget you also have to include the flow from your return pump too. That is my basic understanding. I'll let some one who has more experience than me to answer that one. :)

Reef Ghost

Don't be afraid to start with "dead rock" like Marco Rocks. It's great rock and a lot cheaper, def better to use as your base anyway due to cost. Just my opinion. I have used Marco Rocks and never regretted it.

fishman1908

I have just set-up a 48x24x24 Godiva Executive system in my shop and we are running it without a skimmer.
IMG_1137.jpg

The sump is 32x15x15 and the durso style drain-away runs to a filter sock where I have a small reactor with carbon and or Rowaphos in, goes through a bubble stop to 20lbs of Miracle Mud with some Caulerpa and a mangrove in with an 11w arc light over on 24/7. We have a skimmer in situ in case we need to switch her on but up to now she's not been used.

IMG_1399-1.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

This goes through another bubble stop to the return where I have an Eheim Compact+ 3000 pump.

I am using 2 x Tunze giving me x30 turnover.

Twin 150w series 4 halides with T5 actinics.

Been running now for 6 weeks with all parameters ticking all the boxes and were pushing the system to really test the natural eco set-up.
IMG_1379-1.jpg

IMG_1376-1.jpg

IMG_1384-1.jpg

IMG_1385-1.jpg

IMG_1392-1.jpg

IMG_1397-1.jpg

IMG_1398-1.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pictures, I'll post a topic up on running skimmer-less so you can all follow it and ask any questions.

Robin

Cyncity

The dead rock sounds like a good idea...

Thanks for the pics Robin. I cant wait until my tank looks like that!!!!

fishman1908

The dead rock sounds like a good idea...

Thanks for the pics Robin. I cant wait until my tank looks like that!!!!

Cheers, just remember its a marathon not a sprint.

Take your time and research as much as possible and get as many views/opinions as you can and when you find what works for you, stick to it, don't mend whats not broken.

We advise what is called Reef Bones for bulking out which is essentially dead live rock.

Unlike what we call Ocean Rock which is a non porous granite rock, Reef Bones or Reef Rock is still very porous and placed in the tank amongst live rock has the ability to become live again which can only enhance your system in the future, unlike any other non-porous rock.

And...lets see some progress pictures, we all like pictures:laughroll

Robin