Sump talk...

fidojoe

Fish Addict
So all of this talk about new sumps is driving me crazy! When I bought my 90g, I had this awesome plan to use my old 29g as a sump, so I installed baffles and had everything set up perfect for it. When the time came to set up the tank I found that the sump wouldn't fit under the stand! If I could get it in there, I'd have all the room in the world, the problem is, the front and back openings are the same size, and there are 2 2x4 center braces (one on front, one back) inside the stand that don't allow me to turn the tank once one end is in there. I settled for an 18g tall, but all I can fit in there is my skimmer, return pump, and heater. I would LOVE to have the fuge that the 29g was set to have. Oh, I also tried a regular 20g (for the extra 4" that it would give) but that was a no-go as well.

My stand is made by LeeMar, tank is an AGA with an offset, back-wall overflow. The stand has 6 vertical 2x4 braces (one in each corner, 2 placed in the center front and back). There are no horizontal braces on the inside of the stand, although there are some on the bottom, as the tank has a false bottom. The sides are all made of 3/4" ply. I have 2 holes drilled in the top for the drain and return plumbing, but was considering cutting out a hole on the left side large enough to slip a tank into. Would this be safe? Has anyone had this problem and come up with a better solution?

Comments? Questions? Concerns? Random insults? :D

Thanks!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Temporarily remove the front brace? Make an opening in the end of the stand and slide the sump in? or Upgrade your tank! :D

Scroll down and you will see how Melev did it; Sump for 55 gallon

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Melev's a lot more brave than I am...

I have no problem dismantling my tank to put it in (shows how desperate I am :D ). I just don't want to take any of the finished pieces apart, like the center brace on the front, for fear of making it look bad when it goes back together. Thats why I wanted to cut a hole in the top of the stand (underneath the tank itself) to drop the sump into. That way, once the tank is back on top, there would be no visible cuts etc.

I could upgrade my tank... but that money is for the down payment on that spiffy '07 Camry SE thats calling my name from the dealership :D

TNT_Tile

When I put a 40long under my 125 long I took the two cross braces under where the tank would be out and dropped the tank in from the top. After the tank was in I renailed the braces in and it is in a spot that you cant see from the outside.