Sump question for upgrade

AngieRN

I'm upgrading my 75g to a 125g. Currently, I have a 20g sump. Is this ok for the 125g, or should I get a bigger sump. I'm thinking about converting the 75g into a sump for the 125g; would that be overkill?

DaveK

I would try the current 20 gal you are using now, provided you like it. You can always upgrade it later.

Converting a 75 gal tank as a sump is doable, but has a lot of problems. First it's fairly tall, and second it's wide. It may not easily fit into the 125's stand, depending upon which 125 you plan on. Using a 75 gal would also be overkill. It will work, but you might want a tank like that for something else.

Last edited:

AngieRN

Thanks for the feedback guys! No stands, the 75g is built in and we are expanding to space to accommodate the 125g. I would like to do something else with the 75g though, so we'll use the 20g sump for now. I just wanted to make sure it would work for the 125g.

BTW Vargas, I LOVE the fish in your profile pic, very cool looking!

shark32

Good luck with your upgrade! I will definately be following your thread to see how you make out! i have about 3 or 4 weeks til I actually will move my fish:fingerscrossed:

AngieRN

Thanks shark32! I hope to be moving stuff over in the next 6-8 weeks. We have to move out and relocate the 75 and then do some construction for the 125 (well, my husband has to do some construction, lol) I'll be following your thread, too!

shark32

Good to put the hubbies to work! lol I am also keeping the 75, for now as a back up just in case something happens to the 125..plus, it's always good to have a tank in hand for another SW adventure! Good luck!!