sump pump?

burning2nd

i went to home depot today and bought a bunch of 1" 45degrees adapters for the stuff i need... ball valves.... 34 bucks worth of adpatation

tbittner

Yeah, if you buy the ball valve where you can close the valve and then take the pipe apart are a bit expensive BUT they are well worth it to be able to separate the pipe and then be able to put it back together.

I went the less expensive route and I can stop or slow down the flow but I can't separate the pipe. I'd have to cut it if I need to replace the pump and then put it back together with a connector.

Jason25

Ok had to run and get some dinner and now I am cooking wings, yummy. Here are some pics of whjere I am at right now, gonna get it running later on.

In the begiining Jason created a mess!
180.jpg

174.jpg

181.jpg

Jason25

It's later Terry and everything works great, no leaks and the ball valve is working good. Man you were right this was alot easier than it seemed, thanks for all your help, I really would have been lost without your help. O ya no leaks or floods either,lol. Here are a few pics of everything running. It is so much quiter now to without the canister filter running and the bakpak skimmer.

100_0736.jpg

100_0737.jpg

100_0738.jpg

tbittner

Another thing, if you haven't yet, most people move everything they can into the sump. Heaters, skimmer (done), temp probes, etc...

I say Temp probe because with the turnover that you have now going through the sump, I seriously doubt if the temp will ever be different unless the electric goes out.

OH YEAH! There is a good test to do. Unplug everything in the sump, including the return pump. Did you leave enough room for the water to drain down? If it looks like it's going to overflow, just plug the pump back in. Then drain some water out of your system. It's best to try this while you are watching it because you can plug the pump back in and prevent a flood. If the electric goes out, you don't have that option. :)

Jason25

Ok, on to the next problem, I am getting a million microbubbles pump into my tank now. I am using a mag 7 pump with the ball valve wide open and at 5' I should be getting 425gph so I am fairly certain that I have more flow than I need. Now my octopuss skimmer is in the sump as well. Does anyone have some ideas as to what I should look at. There is a block of foam in between the two baffles which I assume is to trap the bubbles but that obviously is not working.

tbittner

Is the pump staying completely submerged? Can you hear it sucking air anywhere, around the pump or in the pipe going back up into the tank? Do you have bubbles in the return compartment?

Jason25

Ok after some playing around, it is being caused by my skimmer, it's an octupuss needlewheel 150. I unplugged the skimmer for a few minutes and the bubbles were gone I just plugged it back in and the bubbles are back. Any ideas?

ReefGuy69

Are there any baffles between where your skimmer exits and your return pump? if not then you will want to add one. The micro bubbles are probably leaving your skimmer and going straight to your return and then up into the main.

ReefGuy69

then the only other thing i can think of is you have to much flow going through the sump and its not allowing the micro bubbles to get to the surface and instead they are getting sucked into your display tank. Try using your ball valve and adjusting it little by little for less flow until you stop seeing bubbles in the main.

JOSEPHLB

That's the winning answer, that never occured to me, thanks ReefGuy69!

To touch on what ReefGuy posted..

When restricting your pump, to rid of the bubbles back up to the tank.. you'll also need to monitor the draining from the tank. If you have a U-tube overflow, you may develop bubbles in the U-tube, if you don't have enough flow, forcing through the tube.

Jason25

LOL, That's what is happening, do you have any ideas on how to open the ball valve more and not get the microbubbles?