Sump phase one design.

Izzy

Here is what I have come up with so far. The area is kinda small so not a lot to work with. Please be critical if you notice design flaws.
28kor5d.jpg

bwhit1406

What size tank is this for? Were you going to use a sock? I personally like my Fuge after the skimmer section. Just my opinion and other with much more experience will chime in here. I see your Tampa, We have a local reef club if your interested.

Izzy

its a 65 gallon tank. Not sure what a sock is, is that what you would put small live rock chunks into? I was going to just put like big pieces of live rock in there. I figured that if I put my refurgium after the skimmer section It would cause too much flow over it? Reef club whats it about?

bwhit1406

You can feed the fuge with a tee and valve off your return line that way you can adjust the flow going through the fuge. This is the way I do it but its really personal preference. Filter sock, mechanical filtration keeps your sump, and tank much cleaner. I would but all the live rock in the tank and leave more room for a big skimmer and refugium. Tampa Bay Reef Club: Official Website.

Izzy

hmm Alright So instead make the refurgium the entire 3 foot in length and Maybe upgrade my protein skimmer, the one I have is pretty crappy. and then I can run a tee to the refurgium? also I was considering of still using the canister filter.

bwhit1406

That is what I would go for in building a sump. You should search through the forums to look at other peoples designs

Izzy

also i need recommendations for a decent skimmer that wont require constant tweaking. 65 gallon tank may expand one day.

Izzy

HAHA yeah its one of those new hybrid things you know. thats why mine is better then everyone else's . I can't even pronounce refugium lol.

Dakota1231

Might be cheaper in the long run to find a older tank and then buy smaller pieces for plexiglass for your seperation thats what i did... 55 gallon tank FREE and maby 20$ for plexiglass

ChrisOaty

+1 just look on craigslist for a used 30gal tank. if it's glass, go to lowes and have some glass baffles cut. You'd spend less than 30 bucks on the glass. When making baffles, glass is always best to use because silicone does not bond nearly as well to plexi and may eventually fail.

This is the sump I want to have built

Sumptwo.jpg

The first section to the left Is the skimmer section, there will also be a filter sock in that section, the middle section is the return section and the section on the right is the refugium section. Both left and right sides will drain to the middle section. The reason I like the refugium on the right side is because I can control the water flow into that section alot better than if I had the skimmer section draining into the refugium section. JMO