Sump new 210 build

Finally took the plunge and upgraded to a 210 dual overflow tank. I plan on setting it up as reef. I will be breaking down my two 65 gallon reefs and combining them into one.

The filtration in the bottom is where I am looking for some feedback, ideas, and thoughts.

I will be tying in my two refugiums. The idea is to have each refugium fed with the a separate overflow. One refugium will be on the left the other on the right and then to have a 40 gallon breeder below each of them where I will house my mag pumps (two mag pumps each pump feeds a separate return) and heater. My skimmer will still be housed in one of my existing refugiums. I would like to have no baffles in the sump to prolong the period of time I have to worry about water top offs. I am worried about not having the baffels and seeing micro bubbles ?????? Has anyone tried a sump for just equipment with no baffels.........

Wish I was a little more skilled and could have this in a design layout but this is the best I can do. In summary just doing a three tier system. Any feedback would be appreciated. Hope I explained it well enough for others to visualize.

- George

DaveK

The use of two refugiums and sumps and two overflows just will not work. No matter what you do, one will run slower or faster than the other, and the water level of the slower one will rise and cause a flood or the faster one will run dry and cause the pump to fail.

You will also have all the problems with the refugiums becoming dirt traps, and they will require a lot of time to keep them clean.

I recommend you use the two 40 gal breeders, one as a sump and the other as a refugium. Plumb both tank overflows to the sump. Put the skimmer and heater and filtration in the sump. Feed the refugium from the return pumps using T fittings and valves. Plumb the refugium to the return area of the sump.

Also, add an ATO. You'll get much more stable SG, compared to a larger sump return area.

Thanks for the feedback. Wish i could draw this out and post it.

Probably the way I typed it but the set up would have one centralized sump in the middle that both Refugiums would feed into. Both mag pumps would sit in the same sump each feeding a separate overflow. I am most worried about micro bubbles and overflow of the sump with two mag pumps instead of one centralized pump that's T's.

Any feed back is much appreciated. Want to get this right the first time.

DaveK

This is still a less than ideal design. Your still feeding the refugiums with overflow water from the display tanks. This turns them into large settling tanks, in effect making them mechanical filters. You will have created massive dirt traps, and in time they will become nitrate factories.

You will also have the problem of trying to fit all that in under your stand. You need a certain amount of vertical height to fit two levels in, and remember a skimmer will stick out the top and you'll need room over that to service it.

Trying to avoid drilling tanks and connecting with a bunch of pvc pipe.

I guess thing that u was hoping to accomplish was using my already existing Refugiums as kind of an instant filter.

I have heard of people putting large tanks underneath and using those say a 110 or 120 under but that requires glass cutting or expensive kits to get done.

Rubber maid tub us out due to space.

Would love ideas for setting up a filtration under neither. All feedback is appreciated.

any pics of undertank filtration from large systems.......

Ideas are welcome too.

Love to get as much feedback as possible.

Still not sure the difference in my design as opposed to what I currently have running. Sumo would just act as a large top off area........