• Photoperiod - 24/7

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Photoperiod - reverse cycle of main display

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
IF you illuminate your sump/refugium, what do you use? What is the photo period?

(thanks to Jiddy for this thread inspiration :p )

Last edited:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I use this flood lamp:
new_sumpbulb.jpg

Melev's Product Review

:)

Witfull

i voted other, my BB tank with 750wts of halides and 192wts of PC....gives me great lighting down there :)

Kensn

I voted other, I use the little standard base Coralife 50/50 bulbs. I have one on there now, but I am building a acrylic hood to house 2 of them.

LICL-54210.jpg

Kensn

Well I actually have the 20wt one, and that is flouresent wattage, so compared to the light output of an incandesant lamp it is pretty good. Here is the one in action, it is pretty bright.

Ok I found this quote after digging around a little...."A single 20-watt compact fluorescent lamp used in place of a 75-watt incandescent will save about 550 kilowatt-hours over its lifetime."

Also if ya look at the package on the flood light it is only a 19wt bulb that produces 75wt of light.

Attachments

• filtration2.jpg
    filtration2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 124

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Mine are spiral compact fluorescent bulbs too :p But mine are only 19watts each (comparable to 75 incandesent lighting).

Your sump area is inspiring! Very neat and tidy. I see you have made room for a ca reactor! I'd like to have one of those one day....

Kensn

The calcium reactor has been running for almost 2 weeks now. I had to get the new sump and fuge built to get it in there, I was 3/4" short before. I always strugled with alk and calcium levels, and dripped my share of kalk, but the reactor got my levels near perfect in 2 days. I am slowly adjusting it, and am real close to being just right...

Kensn

Nope, and I am suprised. I thought I would have to drip a little kalk to keep the PH up, but my Ph is 8.2 during the day and dipping down to 8.0 at night.

Last edited:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I'm surprised too.... that is one of the reasons I've not pressed myself to get one. Now I'm rethinking it.... :idea:

Kensn

I guess it is the extra buffering capability of the increased alk. that the reactor produces. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I don't know that much about them... yet.. but I have heard of people having major PH swings. I guess you have yours 'dialed in' just right!

Also, do you have your co2 tank strapped down? I've heard that those things can turn into a dangerous projectile really quick... although i'm not sure how. Maybe a high pressure leak? :dunno:

Kensn

If they fall over and the neck breaks then the gas will expel out the hole turning it into a rocket. No I dont have it strapped down, but it has no way of falling over in that cramped cabinet. It is a smaller tank also, low ceneter of gravity, I know the full size canisters that are 5' tall are always chained in place.

Witfull

one thing that can happen with a CO2 tank is the bubble count can change. when using its intended porpuse these small fluctuations are not at all noticed, but for a reef (non-intended use) small flucuations can be the diference between a happy tank and a pH crash. i would recommend a pH monitor with alarm.

Kensn

Yea Wit I am working on getting a controller. I want the ability to send the signal to my plc so I can stop the co2, and maybe start a kalk drip.

gussy

I use the smallest Coralife dual lamp. I think it's either 9Wx2 or 13Wx2...don't remember. Don't need much my sump/fuge is really a tank in disguise. Just LR, LS, Shrimps, Hermits, Brittle Stars, and sponges.

Jerome

A contoler with a ph probe gives you consistant effluent from the reactor. Turning the CO2 off and on generally keeping between 6.5 and 6.7 depending on were you dial it in at. It's the best method I have ever used with a calcium reactor and fluxuations with the co2 count don't matter as much :jumprope: