Sump Design Question

I am working my way towards a large FOWLR tank, and right now I am designing my sump for the tank. I am wanting a large sump and I am contemplating putting a refugium in the design. Just wondering if this is a good idea or not. The reason I am asking is because of the new reactors with nitrate removing pellets and such on the market today, should I think about going that route instead of taking up valuable space under the tank with a refugium? With a refugium, there is little cost involved, the nitrate removing media is an added expense to the up keep of the tank, I just kinda don't know the best way to go here, have refugiums gone the way of T Rex as far as FOWLR tanks are concerned?

DaveK

My personal choice would be to build the refugium as a separate device from the sump. This way you have a lot more control over the water flow going to the refugium.

Compared to a sump, a refugium should have a comparatively slow flow through it. You want to give whatever you have in the refugium time to process the water.

IMO, the new reactors can be a valuable addition, especially in phosphate and nitrate control, but if possible I'd choose the refugium over them.

Keep in mind that the refugium need not be hidden in the stand. You might want to set it up as a small tank next to the main display tank. There are often a lot of interesting things to watch in a refugium.

The sump I am planning is going to have the refugium at one end of the sump and will have a Y fitting and a control valve just pass the Y fitting on the hose going to the refugium, so I will beable to control the water going to the refugium. The DT will be 96" long and the wall that the tank will set against is 135" long, no room to put the refugium out side of the tank. The sump I am planning will be 60"x25", this will only leave me with about a 2 1/2 ft by say 25" area (with a few inches of play room) at the end of the sump to put my external return pump and any media reactors that I will be running, not alot of room. In the sump will be a large area to hold as much Live Rock as I can, that way I can have a minimual amount in the tank. This won't leave me room for a big refugium, thats why I am asking about how good these nitrate medias work, if I could skip the refugium in the sump I could gain much needed space. So, my question is: is the small refugium that I could put in the sump really worth it, will the small refugium help control the nitrate numbers enough to make it pay for itself compaired to a Nitrate media reactor? I would also add, I will be doing weekly water changes on the DT, so that will help with the nitrate numbers, I tend to over feed my fish and I also plan on alot of fish in the tank, not to many but right at the carring (full grown fish sizes) capasity of the tank, I also will have a desent, skimmer Reef Ostopus 5000. If the refugium will really help compaired to the Nitrate media reactor, I will put it in, I just don't want to put it in, just to say I have a refugium.