Sump Build Question?

As some of you know, I am currently in the process of building a 10 gallon reef tank as many of you know. I was planning on just having the 10 gallon reef, but I didn't want to have a lot of equipment cuttled around in the tank, so I was wondering if it would be possible to build a 2.5 gallon sump for the tank. I can put it under, it and if I can convince my parents to let me and figure out the equipment I think it would be fun and work out well. So may you guys please tell me all the equipment I need, pumps and specific overflow, to allow me to do this. Links anything is nice. Thanks!

I have also heard that just using like an aqua clear 70 is a great way to have a HOB without all the costs of a sump so I think that could work very well too without doing anything, but I'm not sure that will look good compared to a 2.5g tank you can't see and just one overflow out and one pump going back in.

Doogle

I'd consider a aqua clear 50 that's what I use on my 14g with a nano circulation pump or powerhead.If you talk em into another tank get a 15-20 high and use the 10 for a sump but yourgonna need an overflow which is gonna look like a AC 50-70 anyways and be a lot louder.

DaveK

Can you build a sump on a 10 gal tank, and get it to work? Yes, it is possible to do. In fact some people have even used a 10 gal tank for the sump for a 10 gal tank.

However, this begs the next question, is this a practical thing to do? In my opinion, it's not. Adding a sump is not going to be very cost effective. First, you'll need some sort of overflow on the main tank, they you need the sump, and a return pump and all the other connecting parts to get it all going. This is going to be expensive, and at best you'll be adding only a few gal of water.

I think you'd be much better off putting the money into better filtration, skimming and/or lighting, or getting a larger tank. Keep in mind that if you make a 5 gal water change on a 10 gal tank, you will have changed over 50% of the water. That will go a long way to correcting any water issues.

Now if we were talking about a much larger tank, say 100 gal, then a sump would be the way to go. It would be very cost effective then.

steved13

PREMIUM
Keep in mind you can't maintain a sump at a full level. At best it's about half. If you keep it full it will overflow during a power outage. So in a 2.5 gallon sump, you'd have about 1 gallon of water.

Doogle

Sump has Marginal benefits for small systems. Hang on refugium or hob filter is good.