sump and pump

allen

hey all,

i have a 77g reef tank and i'm planning on setting up a 30g sump/refug. so any tips for set up and return pump would be great, also what to put in it would help.

r2d2

Hi, I have a 75 with a 20g sump. I think a 30g is much better, actually Im thinking to upgrade my sump but cabinet will not cooperate so...
Mine has in first camber water drain inlet with a filter sock and skimmer, very tight. In second chamber I have a fuge with LR, LS, chaeto and some culerpa. After a bubble trap, in third chamber I have a Mag9.5 as return pump.
Some thing I dont like of my sump...
1.- Its to small to fit all 3 chambers, 6" more will be nice. 30g perfect.
2.- I may prefer return chamber at center of sump and feed fuge with a "T" at pump discharge.
3.- My return chamber is to small, my thinking was to leave more room available for fuge, but, I have to topoff every day, so, dont let your return chamber too small.

Greetings

allen

thanks for the input, i made the water in side smaller (5" wide and 12" deep )
and was planning to have the skimmer outside with about 15" for refug. and about 10" for return end with 10" wall after bubble trap. i hope to fire it up on the weekend so i can keep an eye on it. wish me luck. also what is your reasoning for the return in the middle and fuge at the end and do you get a good flow rate from your return pump, i'm going to have about 4ft to push back up to tank

any other tips or warning would be great.

r2d2

Ive read that fuge needs slow flow rate for macro algae to consume nitrates. My fuge is maturing and after 2 months aprox I can see some copepods.
Mag9.5 is rated about 800gph@4ft but my overflow is rated at 700gph so Im sure not getting more than 700. I have a "T" in return line to pump water through my chiller also.

Good luck! and post some pics!

Greetings