Suitable Tank Mates For An Undulated Trigger Fish

Badger84

Hi guys,

As I said in my welcome post, I am just starting out and am wondering what would be a suitable tank mate for my undulated triggerfish. We now know that damsels are not suitable as he ate my girlfriend’s fish. My tank is half full of live rock and am just wanting to know what else to put in it. I would like some corals and other fish, but don’t want the triggerfish to destroy everything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The Undulate Trigger although a beautiful fish it's extremely aggressive and once it reaches maturity, I don't see any suitable tankmates that will not be continually picked on or killed by him.

BTW this isn't a reefsafe fish !

cracker

funny you say the brian that is about the only thing I wont trade for
Yikes! Would You consider taking one with out a trade? Is this trigger about as "vicious " as they come? The meanest fish I ever had was a 3 " Tomato Clown!

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I matched a 4" ungilated with a 5' moray one time it was fun while it lasted only one I ever took in

tbittner

Wow! I can't believe a 5' moray couldn't stand up to the trigger. Amazing!!!

Jack, I know you also reported that it killed other triggers. It's just a vicious fish. What about a puffer, such as the porcupine?

Or what if you kept the tank stalked with inexpensive damsels so it would leave the bigger fish, such as other triggers, alone? :dunno:

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
the moray stood up to t ht triiger but the trigger did get its licks in before he was lunched.

porcupines are a bit nasty as well however the ungulated makes quick work of it

cracker

OH Man! So the Morey had the devil for brunch! I bet "that" was a sticky task! So Badger, Not a lot of options for You at this time. How big is the trigger & how long have You had it?

Badger84

The undulated trigger i have is 3 inches and i have had him about 2 weeks. he is fun to watch, just not very friendly he ate my snails, crabs and damsel in 1 day.

cracker

The undulated trigger i have is 3 inches and i have had him about 2 weeks. he is fun to watch, just not very friendly he ate my snails, crabs and damsel in 1 day.

Good Lord Man! It ate every other critter in a day? Consider returning it .Surely the LFS person will take it back for You! If no credit is offered then mark it off as a lesson learned! Shame on him for allowing you to buy it in the 1st place! Time to find another place to spend your hard earned money.

tbittner

Yeah, triggers are just plain killers. A Picasso even bit my sons arm while he was feeding them. It didn't leave a mark or anything but it did surprise him. But it does go to show that everything is food to them.

Badger84

Ok so I took the undulated back to the shop, got a credit yes!!!

Anyway why I was there I brought a lionfish, a Badger Fish (I think Americans call them fox faces) and a snowflake eel.

The lionfish is a laugh I love it!!! He is eating well and seems to have settled in well.

Now the eel doesn’t seem to be eating. Can you guys give me a few tips on how to get it to eat?

cheers alex.