Suggestions for chiller flow rate please.

scottb721

I have a 1/10HP chiller ready for our upcoming summer, if it will ever come, and I recently purchased the hood accessory kit (aka chiller adapter for back of the hood).

I had a Fluval 304 canister ready for the pumping job however the adapter instructions had a cool idea of placing a chiller pump between the skimmer and the heater which I prefer.

Million dollar question - what pump rating do I go for ?

Thanks

reefer gladness

You'll want to check the chiller's recommendations for min/max pressure and calculate the head loss from pushing the water up 3-4 feet, through the chiller etc. Just google aquarium head loss calculator for some help with the calculation. I run an Eheim Compact+ 2000 inside a sump located in the cabinet and then through a 1/10 hp chiller, it's very quiet, has adjustable flow. It can be mounted outside of the water too although I haven't used it in that configuration.

ausreef

on a 130 with a 1/10hp chiller i run an eheim compact 1000,fits quite well next to the heater,your chiller instructions will recommend the capacity of the pump
just a note on the chiller adapter,the chiller doesnt return water to the tank a degree or so cooler than the inlet,it comes back a lot cooler,this is a design fault of the adapter as your heater is constantly on while the chiller is running,also because the inlet and outlet are so close together a short circuit can develop affecting the chillers ability to cool the tank
i run the eheim next to the heater on its back, the water is pumped through the chiller on the floor next to the tank and returns via a walking stick to the pump (last) chamber to be pumped into the display,i find this works well

ausreef

a hailea,chinese but made on the same assembly line as aqua medic and re badged,they have a good reputation here and have been very reliable