Votes: 13 34.2%
  • live sand

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • other

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I like sand, it looks more natural to me, my 20 was going to be a FO, but I think its going reef:rolleyes:, and I used sand when it was just gonna be FO.

mwrager

Originally posted by fidojoe
I like sand, it looks more natural to me, my 20 was going to be a FO, but I think its going reef:rolleyes:, and I used sand when it was just gonna be FO.

I with Joey on this.

sharks

Contributing Member
I used Carib Sea Hawaiian pucca shells. Any gravel type substrate will need to be vacuumed regularly.
If you want sand you could get all those cool sand sifting fish to help clean it.
If you go dead sand I like the look of pink Samoan sand
JMO

Mebigloser

I have 175 pounds of live sand in my 75, but I will be setting up a new tank very soon and will be going with a bare bottom.

Brucey

Just 1/2" of sand for me ..... just for aesthetic reasons ... no dead spots or trapped detritus ......... Oh and a Gobi to keep it turned over all the time (Remote DSB in the sump)
Brucey

johnlewis

1 1/2" crush coral moving to same depth for 180 but in south down sand. An some jawfish and or gobies to keep it mixed up.

semigodd154

I'm thinking of setting my 150 back up as a FOWLR but after the results i've seen using BB in my 2 30g reefs i believe it will be BB as well.

jmanrow

I use a 50/50 mix of Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand and Southdown in all marine tanks. My seagrass propagation tank is supplimented with laterite clay soil from Central Oregon.

rckmtl

I don't have a FO tank, but if I was going to, I'd use sand. If I was doing smaller fish, and gobies and such, I'd do a DSB with small grain sand.
If I was doing large fish, heavy eaters, then I'd prolly do like 2in of a course sand and vacum it.