Stupid Skimmer Question????

I feel like a moron for asking this but can a protein skimmer work on a fresh water tank?

I was talking with a co-worker this morning that is setting up a 65g fresh water tank. He was asking what filers, heaters ect. that I had on my systems. When saying how much waste a skimmer removed he was very interested... but now I don’t even know if it will work for him?

Witfull

yes it will work,,,but getting it to work is another story. personally i have skimmed freshwater but it wasnt in a normal environment. it was a 600g goldfish system that housed appx 5-6 thousand feeder fish, with that much waste and slime in the water it was do-able. dual venturis and a huge iwaki pump. it was 10'tall and worked effectively.

now on a regular freshwater tank, there is not enough density to create a foam.

this is where theory and practicality conflict.

Cougra

Skimmers were originally designed for Koi Ponds, however they are extremely inefficient. The problem with skimming freshwater is getting a fine enough bubble that will remain stabble at the surface to allow the protein to stick to it. Freshwater bubbles tend to be larger then saltwater bubbles.

Spooda420

Ive tried it on a 125g african tank with about 60 babies in it and not one drop of skimate over a week. bubbles are too large and not enough debris in the water. so in theory it might work but not with the skimmer I had.

HIH