Stranger in my tank

Okay. Set up the one 24 with plenty of liverock, sand and shells. I fully expected to find some cool things on the liverock in a couple of weeks, but nothing prepared me for what I found this morning when I woke up. :eek:

Keep in mind that this liverock went from the lfs tank into a bag (no water). Within 15 minutes, I had placed it all in my tank, intending to rearrange it once I was sure I had all the rock I wanted. I am hesitant to arrange it too much as there is a firefish in there right now. :ponder2:

So, last night I saw the strangest rock sitting under the large piece of liverock that has a little bridge under it. Thought a piece must have come loose. Cool...looks neat. Oh, wait...could be the firefish.:yup:

Woke up this morning and was looking in the tank to see what I wanted to do with it and if I would need more rock today. All of a sudden, out to the front comes this long yellow thing with eyes and a serious frown. :fishy: I hadn't the faintest idea what it was so I called the store. She gave me a couple of ideas and after researching on the web, I discovered it is a yellow watchman goby. Had to check that twice. Fortunately, when he would see me looking in, he would come to the front of the tank and pose for me.

We can only figure that he was hiding in one of the many holes in the largest piece of rock. I did know that there was either a crab or snail hiding in one already, but never, never figured something else was lurking in the dark.

So now I have a watchman goby and know nothing about them. :ashamed:

chrome91

watchmans are cool easy to care for fish. they will perch in the day and wander at night. theyre peaceful, keep to themselves, and eat frozen food and pellets. theyre worth about $8-$10. good find!

schackmel

If you can get him out, I would to have somebody hold for you...as you will be going through a cycle and it will most likely kill him! (I am assuming it is a new tank)

What a cool find though...amazing how he did not die coming home....I never have anything good in my LR.:closed:

When tank settles in you ought to look into getting a pistol shrimp..they make a good pair! I am looking at getting a pair for my tank!

Thank you so much. He is so precious and i believe he likes me. Probably because I fed him ;)

I did watch him tonight as he was laying under the rock and noticed he was breathing with his mouth open. Please excuse my paranoia, but is this normal? I immediately had to check all params and everything is as it should be. He seems to have taken a liking to the firefish, as they are camped together under there.

I allowed the tank to cycle before we added any kind of fish, and watch the parameters very closely. I do have a 12 that is completely cycled for sometime, but don't want to move him out of there. We waited some time to be sure it was cycled, and all levels are fine.

My research did mention pistol shrimp, but it says you can't keep them with others, and I want to add some peppermint shrimp in this tank as well. Plus, I hear they make a popping noise and with me being so paranoid, I am not sure I can handle that. Roflmao

chrome91

the breathing is normal, hes probably just a bit mad and trying to figure out where the hell his new real estate is. lol

mine sometimes keeps his mouth open, as long as yours isnt on his side gasping, dont worry

lcstorc

Awesome news. They do have the cutest little frowney faces. I love the bright yellow and they are very mellow fish so great with a firefish.
I have a pistol shrimp in with a fire shrimp and a peppermint and have not had a problem. It could be because the postol is very small. Once you hear the popping noise once or twice you know what it is so you don't freak out. Plus it is fun to watch company jump when he does it. Can you tell I love my little pistol buddy.

BigJay

I just paid 19.99 for my yellow watchman so definetly a good score. I think they are one of the better looking watchmans if I can be honest even though they are one of the least expensive. Congrats great addition to your tank!

Oh, I can definately see this happening. I had a partner destroy a 28g display nano to sell $15 worth of live rock. Simultaneously, he gave away a $180 Helfrichi Firefish that was hiding in the rock he sold. As you might imagine, I was not pleased with either development.

Oh, that would upset me too.

This guy has become pretty friendly in the short time he has been here. He is especially fond of my roomie who visits him during the day. He will come out in a flash for him, but once in awhile for me.

I fed him (and the firefish) some brine I put in a clean syringe and squirted it in the hidey hole they are sharing. If I don't do that, the Chromis will eat everything and they get nothing. I was surprised when Magi (watchman) ate a piece and came out to steal the chromis' meal. He has an awesome jump, and i will have to be very careful! He then protected the few pieces that the firefish was working on. When the chromis would come near that area, Magi would chase him off. I believe he is going to have a great relationship with Dracos the firefish.

I imagine once they are used to their feeding schedule they will both come out and eat, but until then, I don't mind squirting near their hidey hole. I have to do that with my scooter blenny (squirt near him) anyway so the clowns don't hog it all :)