Storming the tank: Ok for high nitrates??

Alisa1965

My 54 gallon corner bowfront (saltwater, soft coral, fish) has a problem with high nitrates. Working on getting it down by doing 10 gallon water changes once a week, feeding every other day, running a 200 micron sock (no bio balls...yay!!) and using macro algea in my wet/dry, with a light. My only other issue, which I will be changing as well, is my water quality. I don't use RO water. I do get my water from an aquarium store but they said it is "filtered slightly less than RO water". They use it in their tanks but I think I would rather go RO and make my own saltwater from now on. Anyway, my biggest question is: would I be ok storming my tank or am I asking for trouble? Will the high nitrates cause more issues or would I be best to go ahead and do it anyways?

Alisa1965

Online, there are sites that tell you how to "storm" your tank by taking a turkey baster and blowing off your coral and sand bed. A method of cleaning your tank, esp in spots you may not be able to reach using a vacuum. I wonder if it is a good idea disturbing the sand bed tho, esp if my nitrates are high already.

frisbee

Oh ok.. This is something you should be doing on a regular basis IMO. (right before a water change) Get that muck out of there...
A power head works much better than a turkey baster btw.

How old is your sand bed? How deep is it?

Alisa1965

sand bed is 2 inches, since april 2014. Live rock around 40#. I was just so worried about disturbing anything beyond what I pick up in my vac. My other question is, I want to convert my wet dry trickle filter. My issue: It is a corner tank with limited space underneath. As in first post, I pulled out all bio balls and I am running a sock. The first compartment has my return pump and my skimmer. My second compartment is my sock, some macro algea and a few pieces of small rock. I am running one of those CFL bulb lights (5000 kelvin, unless you can recommend a better bulb) sitting to the side of the wet dry for the algea. Will this be ok to help with the nitrates or should I add a second sand bed? If so, I may have to actually add a tupperware container to hold the sand so it doesn't feed under the compartment to the other side.

DaveK

What is the nitrate reading when you test your tank water? In other words, how bad an issue do you have with nitrates?

It would be a good ideal to test the water you get from your LFS, both for nitrate, and TDS (Total dissolved solids). You want to know the quality of the source water you are using.

Lastly, how does your livestock look? This is a key indicator, and may times your can be better off just leaving things alone, rather than chasing a number.

Alisa1965

Started out with 20 according to liquid test at the aquarium shop I use for my water. A week later, it was 40. Last week, I tested it myself, and it was 80. Just now, I tested it and it is still 80. I pulled my bio balls a week ago and went with a sock. The water may be the issue. As in previous post, I want to change from the local aquarium store water to RO water. They may be fine with their tank set up, but I am not. I would like to make my own salt water, either way. Saves on buying water at $5 for 5 gallons. Changing my water 10 gallons every week at present to get things back in line. Everyone in tank is good with the exception of my grass polyps. One hasn't opened in over 2 months, the other in 1 month. I bought them (opened) from Preuss Pets at 2 separate times, but once in my tank, they never opened. So I am concerned from this. My other guys are doing fine. I had my grass placed midway in my tank, nothing. I have 2 circ pumps, btw. I now have the grass placed close to the top. Still nothing so I pretty much gave up on them opening at all. I know it can still happen but not holding my breath.

reefle

If I get build up of algae or diatoms on my sand bed I usually mix it around and let the particles float into the sump. Def. do it to your corals too, you dont want anything growing on them. Make sure you clean the filter sock often though. Any build up in there will cause a nitrate increase like your bioballs.

Good call on making your own water too. Much more trustworthy and saves you so much in terms of gas and costly water.

This is a last ditch effort, but maybe you want to experiment with carbon dosing. It has helped me with high nitrates before.I would go this route if all other options have been exhausted.