Storing Live Rock

dwall174

Looks like I will be moving this spring, Probably into an apartment so I’m not sure what size tank I’ll have room for. I’m going to be taking my corals to a LFS for a store credit, But I would like to save some of my larger pieces of LR if possible! What would be the least amount of light & lighting cycle needed just to maintain it until I can get everything moved?

ReefLady

Staff member
What critters on the rock are you looking to keep that need light? If you just want to keep it "live" without any photosynthetic stuff on it, then you could just keep it in a rubbermaid tub with water and a heater. May be best to keep it dark, because if you're not doing much with the water you could wind up with algae on it.

JMO

T

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
For bacteria purposes - using a heater and power head are all that is needed. This is also called 'cooking' it :D I would go this route for sure. You will be very surprised at the amount of diterus the rocks shed! Keep up with the water changes too....also keep it topped off for any evaporation so the salinity doesn't rise.

dwall174

Travis said:
What critters on the rock are you looking to keep that need light?
Basically just the coralline!
Woodstock said:
For bacteria purposes - using a heater and power head are all that is needed. This is also called 'cooking' it
Yea I may end up doing that! But from what I have read I would lose all the coralline?
Woodstock said:
Keep up with the water changes too....also keep it topped off for any evaporation so the salinity doesn't rise.
I will be in & out a lot & not able to keep an eye on it. A friend of mine will let me set up a simple Rubbermaid tub with a light, powerhead, & heater in his basement, But I would only be able to top it off or do a WC on the weekends, And then I would have to bring the water with me because I don’t want to bother setting up my RO/DI at my friends house!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I have heard of people cooking their rocks and the corraline was just fine. Once a week should be fine since you do not have any livestock. If you plan on keeping a light on it, I would keep up with the water changes otherwise you may experience an algae bloom!

BoomerD

Storing rock in a dark heated barrel will cause the coralline to go white, but it comes back rather quickly when exposed to good light and the right water conditions. Don't sweat it if that happens, it's normal, and will return to the nice purple color pretty fast.

dwall174

Woodstock said:
I have heard of people cooking their rocks and the corraline was just fine.
How long does the normal cooking process take? I’m looking at probably two months before I’ll be ready to set-up the tank!
BoomerD said:
Storing rock in a dark heated barrel will cause the coralline to go white, but it comes back rather quickly when exposed to good light and the right water conditions
Thanks! I have 4 large pieces that weigh 12~18lbs each & one that’s 28lbs! There all covered in nice pink & purple coralline that I would hate to loose completely!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
The longer the better... 2 months is a good time frame. I cooked my base rock for several months. Don't forget to do the water changes! I would do 100% water changes on my tub... omg.. the diterus that came out of the rocks was simply amazing!