STILL Low Mg....

Corvus

I've only had the Kent Mg supplement since Friday, and I've been dosing with it for only two days, but my Mg is still only 1150.

AND my dkh is down to 8, and my calcium is down to 400. I have also done water changes.

Could it be that my new salt (RSCP) is mucking things up? I don't really think so, but......

C.

Corvus

Checked again last night. Mg now up to 1200. I'm dosing daily as per directions on the Kent Mg supplement bottle (good thing I purchased the next-to-largest bottle)!

C.

sirrealism

Yes it takes a lot in liquid form to raise Mag up. On a 40b that my mag was down to 900 I used the largest bottle and only got it up to 1050. So I bought the powder and made a gallon and it took more then half of that before I got it up to 1350 and 3 weeks of dosing. You will find that when your Mag is up where it should be you wil use less Alk and Cal. I cant tell you the exactly why but thats what happens. I am no chemist

yungreefer2410

if you dose a good 2 part calcium kit, like the one BRS supplies. It should be able to keep your Alk Ca and Mg in good places

reefer gladness

if you dose a good 2 part calcium kit, like the one BRS supplies. It should be able to keep your Alk Ca and Mg in good places

Not so. Typical 2-part dosing will increase calcium and alkalinity - not magnesium. Usually what happens when people start dosing 2-part is they forget about magnesium and it gets very low before they start questioning why they're having trouble maintaining alk.

Corvus

So I'll be sure to use a Mg powder (I have some Red Sea on the way) once I use up the 64-oz bottle from from Kent (right now I'm dosing as per the directions on the Kent bottle and Mg is creeping up--it's now at 1200 whereas it was 1000).

C.

Smoker

Kent's directions for using Tech-M takes too long. I lost patience in a few days and started double, then triple then quadruple the recommended dose. It didn't hurt anything. One guy said to dump it all in at once as its a tedious process. Start with the gallon bottle. Maybe you will have some left over to dose the next time your Mg drops. I used it to kill hair algae.

sirrealism

Yes i was using the Kent which by the way has both magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate in it but in way to low dose. I ended up with the red sea powder and making a 1 g jug. this also has both and works way faster

Corvus

I will use up the Kent using double or triple doses, and then start using the Red Sea powder that arrived Thursday. I'll use a 1-gallon jug, too. How much Red Sea Mg powder to you add to make a gallon of Mg?

C.

sirrealism

cool. Good deal that it came up for you. I dont remember the amount I used to make a gallon but there is directions on the tub