Steve's LED's Need Help Please

Nurse Brian

So I got my lights back from Steve's today. I am unable to get them to turn on. What does the silver box do? Is it supposed to be on the inside of the hood or does it go outside? I do not see the controller I ordered anywhere so I am assuming it was not included in the box for some reason? What do the toggle switches do?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The silver box is the power supply. It does not go in the hood, it should go in the cabinet. I don't think those are toggle switches, they are dimmer switches.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Did you order the Typhoon? I don't see it as part of everything you have shown so far.

Nurse Brian

I did order the typhoon. I am abit angry because the reflective back to the hood is not aligned properly and part is sticking out and the controller was not included. I waited three weeks and still don't have lights >.< I didn't realize the power supply for the lights would be external. I had not seen that mentioned anywhere or pictures. I will have to find a safe place for it.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yeah, they are not really clear on the location of the power supply. I probably should make a large note of that on my Steve'sLED build in the RSM thread. Someone had a great idea for the power supply and that is using one of the Command hooks www.command.com to mount it to the back of the tank or the wall.

Are they working?

Nurse Brian

No, the moon lights will come on with the original timer but the LED lights don't come on at all. I am assuming that is because there is no controller? Or should they still turn on in its absence?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Did you get it wired to work with the stock timer? If so, the stock timer needs to be set to ON in order to supply power to the LEDs.

Nurse Brian

The stock timer was on for the moonlights. When the moonlights went off a green light on the powerbox came on and the fan for the hood started up, but no lights.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
When the green light on the power supply is on, that is a good thing!! So for the LEDs to work, the green light on the power supply needs to be on. Are the dimmer switches fully clockwise?

Nurse Brian

yup, the dimmer switches are fully clockwise, the hood fans are on, and the green light to the power supply is on, but no lights from the hood. So the lights can come on without the controller?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
And to answer your question, yes the LEDs should work without the Typhoon controller as it is not a mandatory piece of equipment.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hmmmm. I hate to say I'm stumped, but I'm stumped. Although this is a RSM130 build it is similar enough to my RSM250 that I thought I could help. I would send Jeff an email at Steve'sLEDs with "URGENT" in the title and he will respond quickly. First let him know you did not get your Typhoon and then ask him how to make it work in the meantime without it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help Brian.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
On the 130 mod, is there a circuit card attached to the heat sink? If so, is the power connector on it seated properly?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You also might PM BigAl07, he has a lot of experience with Steve'sLEDs and I think he did this mod to his RSM 130.

Nurse Brian

For as much as I spent on shipping and additional labor, it should arrive working with all parts. I sent out a letter to Jeff marked urgent, will wait and see. It is a good thing I didn't order my live sand and rock like I wanted to in anticipation of this arriving.

BasaReef

I have recently performed the Steve's upgrade myself on a RSM 130d. Gotta say, even w the 95% complete kit, it still takes a quite a bit of DIY especially as the instructions are poor, not updated and unclear.
Having said that once they are working, they work very well. I'd be kind of upset w your setup given that you sent in your hood.
It should return plug and play from there in my opinion.

The dimmers in mine and in many setups are placed next to the timer dial. However, looks like they already placed the dimmer wires down in to the outlet collective cable, so you would have to take it apart and drill the plastic w/ 1/4" holes to get the dimmers placed.

I will post a picture but unfortunately dont have enough posts to do so yet.

PM me and I can try to help out tomorrow.

Dking271

Are you sure the Typhoon was not wrapped in bubble wrap? It looks like you have the power cord for the Typhoon in your first picture above the old parts close to the timer. I'm not sure why they won't work, but if it was set up for the Typhoon the jumper on the driver would have been removed and I don't believe it would turn on. Since I see the power cord, I'm going to guess you are missing the controller board. I have my power unit sitting on the shelf inside the stand. I have a 130D with RapidLed, and just finished installing Steve's in my other 130D. Both are nice, but the Steve's would definitely get the edge. I am sure Jeff will get back to you quickly.