STEVE LED LIGHTING NEED HELP!!! Urgent

Landoman

Guys -

I have been burning my softie corals, zoas, palys, etc. I had blues set at 65 and white at 35 with a one hour fade on white, and 2 on blues.

All my zoas and palys start losing color,

What can I do to simulate a 12 hour day? Suggestions?

Or should I do what I have been on a 8 hour day?

Also - do the knobs that control the indivdual blue/white LEDS should they be turned up all the way? Help me. Tired of Losing zoas.

Landon

Danreef

I do not have Steve's LEDs but can you tell us your water parameters. Excess of nutrients will have a similar effect in zoas and Palies.

Pat24601

I'm doing 10:30 am - 10 pm. 60% blues, 50% whites. 2.5 hour sunrise and sunset.

I'm definitely still fiddling with where I really want it and I may be a long way from optimal, but my corals are doing well. I don't have zoas or plays, though. My softies are mushrooms and leathers. Also torches, etc

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I think this was posted elsewhere, however, here is a response for you:

Landoman,
I have sent you an email. It sounds like perhaps the lights may be getting changed too frequently, too fast. The key to LED light is similar to driving a car on the highway, you don't want to have hundreds of stops and changes - that won't make for a comfortable ride. You want to ramp up smoothly, and maintain consistency.

I agree with DaveK. Color issues aren't related to LEDs, it has long since been proven that LEDs have no issue whatsoever growing some of the most beautiful colors in the world, and now implemented by the worlds leading coral farmers. Bleaching occurs within moments to days after adding LEDs that are too bright. If the light intensity is being frequently changed in attempt to find the right color or intensity levels, this can definitely bleach coral as well. That said, I suspect some water quality issues, and further suggestions on my part depend on your water parameters.

Some rules of thumb regarding powerful LED systems:
-Have the LEDs on at a minimum of 8 hours a day at full intensity, not including sunrises and sunsets.
-Have sunrise and sunset last at least 1 hour
-When introducing the new LED lights, acclimate at a rate no faster than 1% per day.
-When introducing the new LED lights, start at an intensity lower than you think you need, such as at 30%
-When adding new corals to the aquarium, restart the acclimation process
-Ensure all other water parameters are in ideal ranges. Awesome lighting can't make up for poor water quality and lack of water changes (or supplement additives).
-Always have patience, and your patience will be rewarded. There are no shortcuts to the saltwater aquarium hobby (not even a lot of live rock and live sand :) ).

Hope that helps?

Jeff