Steve Erwin Death

Chiefmcfuz

This sux , He was a good person, and a class act. Watching him all the time it feels like I have lost a friend, And in fact, tho I never knew him or met him, I did. He was that type of personality while on TV he was talking to millions but he had a way of making it seem like he was talking to just you. He will be missed terribly by all who loved him. Pray for his family and keep in mind they are going to be setting up a fund for his childrens education and for his zoo to keep it open. Details will be released later this week they said.

God Bless Steve, and his family.
You will be sorely missed Steve. "Crocs Rule!"

BoomerD

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060905/ts_nm/australia_irwin_dc_10

"Fatally injured by a stingray, Australian "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin pulled its serrated barb out of his chest before losing consciousness and dying, the world-famous naturalist's manager said on Tuesday.

Video footage of the attack shows Irwin swimming above the stingray on the Great Barrier Reef on Monday when it lashed out and speared him in the heart with its barbed tail, manager John Stainton told reporters.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest)," Stainton said after watching the footage."

"Marine experts say stingrays can deliver horrific, agonizing injuries from the toxin-laden barbs, which can measure up to 20 cm (8 in) in length and cause injuries like a knife or bayonet."

"The strongly serrated barb is capable of tearing and rendering flesh," said Dr Bryan Fry, deputy director of the Australian Venom Research Unit."

"It's not the going in that causes the damage, it's the coming out where those deep serrations kind of pull on the flesh, and you end up with a very jagged tear which is quite a pronounced injury," Fry said.

"He pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. The cameraman had to shut down," he said."

Environmental documentary maker Ben Cropp said video of the attack showed Irwin swimming alongside a bull stingray, probably weighing around 100 kg (220 lb). His cameraman was filming in front of the ray, which became frightened and lashed out."

"Discovery said the footage of Irwin's fatal dive might never be broadcast"

lcstorc

"Might never broadcast"?
Personally, I would much prefer that it didn't.
I really admire him and the conservation work he has done. That would be video I don't want to watch. Even without my stingray phobia, I just don't want to watch that.
Leep us posted on the fund for his zoo and his children. He was doing great work on conservation and I would love to see that continue as well as help his children as they grow up without a father now.
Man this stinks. He really had a way of getting the couch potatoes of the world interrested in wildlife and that is a great thing.
I'm sure his shows will be in re-runs for a long time. I just hope they start showing the original ones again. It was even more wild when it was just the 2 of them with the dog in a tiny boat and a cameraman in a a second boat.

Gina

RS STAFF
Everywhere I went yesterday including Exotic Aquactics, Steve Irwin was the conversation. I still find it hard to imagine this happened.
I read his Zoo opened Tuesday morning because this is what he would have wanted.
It crossed my mind after I had read he pulled the barb out, would he still be here if he had left it alone?
How toxic is the Venom?
I hope Terri stays at Queensland to continue with his work along with her children.
I had actually thought about Steve last week and said, I wonder what he's been up to....haven't heard about him for awhile.
I'm saddened by his passing even though he himself said that if he ever died doing what he loves, he would hope it would be caught on video.
Australia has lost a great human being!

angnak

Freak accident indeed. Very sad!! Like the report above says, the camera man was in front of them and Steve was kind of above and to the side. They think the ray thought he was being ambushed and was just protecting itself. Like a few on here have said, they are very peaceful animals but all animals can turn when cornered. He will be missed. I enjoyed watching that crazy guy.

Witfull

"Might never broadcast"?
Personally, I would much prefer that it didn't.
i totally agree!!! it would be ghoulish and morbid. seeing a man die is not cool or entertainment. been there, done that, wish i could forget it.

Cartman89

MY mom was watching E! last night and they said they are going to show the last minute of steve, the stingray and everything. They never did though:lol: . I'm glad they didn't we don't need to be watching that.

boozeman

Gina said:
... It crossed my mind after I had read he pulled the barb out, would he still be here if he had left it alone?
I was wondering the same, was it the trauma of the barbs ripping his heart when he pulled it out?

LisaB

I was wrecked over this yesterday. Such a tragic early death. I will pray for his young family and for the Australia Zoo. :tears:
My already low opinion of the media will drop even lowever if they EVER show that footage. Totally insensitive and unnecessary. :verymad:

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I posted about this yesterday and guess most missed it. It was on the Stingray thread. But I figured some one will post a thread on it. He was on the news everywhere yesterday within 2 hrs of the accident. It is a sad thing< iwatched him allot.. One of the doctors yesterday said it was not the venom, as the barb went right into his heart and the barb/stinger from this ray was on the order of 10 ". It was also stated they he pulled the barb out which made things worse but that it was probably just an instinctive reaction. It was also stated that he was swimming right above this big ray in such a way, do to location of himself and the ray, that the ray feared it was cornered, with no way out. He was also in a very shallow area. It was a Bull Ray (Smooth Ray, Short Tailed), Dasyatis brevicaudata which get to 6.5 in diameter and 14 ' long and weighs up to 775 lbs. It is the largest stingray in the world. It has 2 barbs, with the front being shorter than the back. I'm sure allot of this info has already been mentioned

Bull%20Ray.jpg

dbreviatk2.jpg

Dabre_u2.gif

BoomerD

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060905/people_nm/australia_irwin_dc_12

"Environmental documentary maker Ben Cropp said Irwin was swimming alongside a bull stingray, probably weighing around 100 kg (220 lb).

Stingrays are normally placid and only attack in self-defense. But Irwin's cameraman was filming in front of it and it probably became frightened and lashed out.

Stainton said the cameraman only became aware of the attack when he noticed Irwin bleeding. "

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Yeah I seen one dead on the beach when I lived in florida.

How is that Chartman they don't live there, this is an INDO-PACFIC ray. He was in Australia on the Great Barrier Reef .

Thanks Boom, that is different from what I heard yesterday, being above the ray.

BoomerD

Boomer said:
Thanks Boom, that is different from what I heard yesterday, being above the ray.

Nah, I believe you heard it right...
"It shows him swimming above a stingray when it lashed out and speared him in the heart with its barbed tail, manager John Stainton told reporters."

Such a sad thing to happen. I've watched his shows for over 10 years, and feel like I've lost a good friend...definitely not how most people thought he would get it...to a freak accident? Nah. "Daingah, Daingah, Daingah!!...Crikey, that one almost took off me head!"
Not only will he be missed by his fans, but by the animal kingdom he so loved as well...

MarbleShark

I can see why people would not want to see his death on videotape but in an interview he gave he said if that if he died he wanted to go doing what he loved and he hoped it would be caught on tape so all could see.