Starting up my Fluval Edge 6 Gallon Tank :)

Mike Phan

Starting up my Fluval Edge 6 Gallon tank now. With a couple of more post, i can post some image up. :)
So far i have some Live Bio-active aragonite sand a filled it up with Real Ocean Water.
Now I'm just waiting for it to clear up :)

Mike Phan

Just got some Coral LEDs to upgrade the light fixture in the tank.
going to add
2x strips of 445 nm Blue
2x strips of 420 nm UV Purple
2x strips of 10000K White
2x strips of 14000K White
All going to be mounted in the underside of the cover. Let see if that might be too much light or not. Can't wait until i get it by Friday i hope.:)

Mike Phan

This was from yesterday
20140114_114142.jpg

This is from today
20140115_100113.jpg

Made a little cave also from live rocks :)

Mike Phan

Thanks, can't wait until my LED's to come in so i can do the light mods. Planning to curve some strips so it will cover the whole tank.

puffermike

It would be awesome if we could get some work in progress - do it yourself lighting pics for this. I've always been interested in starting one of these tanks.

Mike Phan

what do u have in mind for livestock?

I'm thinking of a clown fish a bubble anemone. The tank is too small to add too much stuff in there. Also thinking of a Mandarin. Currently my live rocks has a bunch of pods in there and I'm letting them multiplying right now before i add fish.

I also have some Polyps and Kenya Tree that i will be putting in there. I will have to see what i can put in there without crowding the fishes.

Mike Phan

It would be awesome if we could get some work in progress - do it yourself lighting pics for this. I've always been interested in starting one of these tanks.

I will post up some pictures when the light strips comes in. I will surely post some DIY pics for it :) I'm actually going to connect the LED Strips to a dimmer control just in case it is too bright. Currently the stock LED that is in the tank is too weak to supply lighting to the whole tank.

Sean99

Did you say a Mandarin fish? If you did I would defiantly strongly advise you not to get one for a six gallon tank because those fish are very picky feeders. They usually eat only pods and they need a lot of them, I would not recommend it for such a small tank as there isn't going to be enough food for them to eat, so basically they will slowly starve to death. I know you said that you are waiting for pods in your tank to multiply, but sadly there will still not be enough food for a Mandarin, all of the pods would most likely be gone in a couple days. Unless you can manage to target feed them some food, which is almost impossible, but it's still possible. You can still get the fish if you'd like but I just wanted to warn you first.

Sean99

But otherwise awesome setup! I love it so far it looks really good. Defiantly want to see the LEDs when you put it on. I currently just started a 15 gallon a few weeks ago and it's going great. Good luck to your tank!

Mike Phan

Did you say a Mandarin fish? If you did I would defiantly strongly advise you not to get one for a six gallon tank because those fish are very picky feeders. They usually eat only pods and they need a lot of them, I would not recommend it for such a small tank as there isn't going to be enough food for them to eat, so basically they will slowly starve to death. I know you said that you are waiting for pods in your tank to multiply, but sadly there will still not be enough food for a Mandarin, all of the pods would most likely be gone in a couple days. Unless you can manage to target feed them some food, which is almost impossible, but it's still possible. You can still get the fish if you'd like but I just wanted to warn you first.

thanks for the advise, i actually also have a 72 gallon bow front with a sump. in my sump i also have pods growing in a the sump. i was thinking of grab a bunch of them twice a week and dump them in my 6 gallon. Do you think that should be ok? if he's not plump within a couple of week i can always throw him in my 72 gallon which has a bunch of pods flowing through the sump. 72 gallon been running for 3 years :) if you still think it's a bad idea, then i will take it into consideration and not add it.

Sean99

I'm certain that should be okay. A mature 72 gallon is the perfect backup if it isn't doing well in the 6 gallon with the supply of pods. Just out of curiosity, how long have you been in the hobby?

Mike Phan

I'm certain that should be okay. A mature 72 gallon is the perfect backup if it isn't doing well in the 6 gallon with the supply of pods. Just out of curiosity, how long have you been in the hobby?

as long as my 72 gallon :) which is only 3 years. I was into fresh water before that. I still have my 36 gallon cichlid tank (which they breed like crazy) i use their babies to trade for fish food at the lfs. They are nice cichlids also. 2 albino and 2 convics

Sean99

The smallest tank I'd recommend for a mandarin is 50 gallons but other people have been successful with smaller tanks. I've never had any cichlids before though, although I'm not sure why. I used to have freshwater too when I first started keeping fish, Then when I gained experience I went with saltwater as I found it to be more diverse. The most important thing I've learned I'm my four years of reef keeping is patience, even if you think you've waited long enough for something, wait another week just to be safe. My first reef tank I had on my own was when I was 11, and you wouldn't believe the amount of reading I had to do in order to convince my parents to let me get saltwater. That was just over four years ago and I still learn so many new things about everything in the tank. It's sort of like you think you know everything there is to know about your tank, then something amazing happens that you never knew about.

Mike Phan

Not liking the new LED's that i got. More lights to the sides now and the Actinics looks better, but still kinda dark in some area in the front.

20140118_093848.jpg

Before

20140118_094250.jpg

After

Back to the drawing board

Mike Phan

Got my Fluval Sea LED's and it looks a lot better. I was going to mount the LED in the Hood but the Filter is in the way so i took the hook off and use the arm that came with the LED's looks good. I'll figure a way our later if i want to mount the LED in the hood at a later time. all my corals seems to like the LED better and my Clowns are loving the tank also. I have a little yellow watchman goby also in the tank. He loves to hide but he's actually out today taking a picture, you can see him on the lower right hand corner. I'm going to wait a little longer to add a bta in there for the clowns. :)
20140123_085704.jpg

Moon Light
20140123_090632.jpg