starting to get some red algea on the sand bed

slb11106

i have been getting red algea on my sand bed, i have to stir the sand every day or two so it does not get carried away. is this normal ? do i need to change something ? all perameters are great and i do a water change every 30 days (20gal on my 90gal tank)

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
try to syphon(sp) it out rather then stirring it up, when you do your water changes. So you remove it not just move it around.

Gina

RS STAFF
Like mentioned above, try to siphon out all you can!
Try also running some Phosban or Rowaphos.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Cyano is usually due to nitrate/phosphate...How often do you feed and how much ? How often do you do water changes ? Are you using RO water ? What are you dosing ? How much flow do you have ?

I agree you should syphon it out of the tank not stir the SB.

lcstorc

What do your phosphatest test at?
I would increase the frequency of water changes as well until you start seeing a reduction in the cyano.
Also, do you soak your food in ro water before feeding? Most fish food contains high phosphates which contribute to the issue.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
when i had that problem with the red cyno. ... i used some red slime remover. I used a lil less then suggested..and then did a good water change the next day or so....ive heard mixed reviews about this stuff, but I seemed to have luck with it myself... it hasnt returned since.

lcstorc

I tried it once and while it did work to some extent, it messed up my skimmer for 2 weeks and 2 30% waterchanges. Only then could I resume skimming. The real answer is to find what it is feeding off of and reduce the nutrients.

burning2nd

i uses several things, the red slim remover, the stirr and skimm method (stirr it in to the wind then catch it with a net)

but it comes from no3 and phosphate, you need to adress the source to remove it completly